How to remove leading zeros in Excel

akuccputsedut

I have a lot of record that contain number like shown below:
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="187"><col style="width: 140pt;" width="187"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height: 15pt; width: 140pt;" height="20" width="187">0000082181
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">0000005465
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl63" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">0000028997
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
I want to remove all 0 in front of this number in excel. Can anyone here
help me.. I use excel 2007..

I already try using formula

Code:
=IF(     LEFT(A1) = "0" ,     RIGHT(A1, LEN(A1)-5),     A1)

but it only remove 5 character in front what about the number that have 6 '0'......
Please help..

Thanks in advance.

</pre>

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Try the fixed function:-

=Fixed(a1,0,1) the first parameter is the number of decimal places to display the second is 1= no commas, 0= with commas.

so if A1 contains 000007869, =fixed(A1,0,1) will produce 7869
=fixed(A1,0,0) will produce 7,869

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With regards to this issue, I copied the leading 'invisible character'... did a Find all 'invisible character' and replaced all with 'space'.
That seemed to have solved the problem and this is after about an hour of trying every other suggestion on here :)

Hope this helps.. :)

Upvote 0
If your "numbers" are all in Column A, then select all of Column A, press ALT+de to bring up the Text-To-Columns dialog box and, as soon as it appears, press the Finish button. That should get rid of your leading zeroes, but the cell format will still be Text so, with the column still selected, change the cell format to "General".

Upvote 0
Sean, Yes that leading character or embedded one sometimes is not numeric or text when testing for it. Your "Find all" is a good suggestion especially if it is used in various locations. Takes tenacity to get things to work sometimes...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back