Automatic Link

AllenL

Board Regular
Everytime I open my workbook, I get an automatic link message. The workbook doesn't relate to other workbook. Is there a way to disable the automatic link ???

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Try:

Tools, Options, Edit,
Uncheck the Ask to Update Automatic Links

Also, check the name ranges in your workbook to see if they refer to another workbook.

Upvote 0
I tried that and it didn't show the message anymore.
However, because I deleted all the linked files, I got a file not found window when I open the workbook.
Is there a way to solve this problem???
Thanks again

Upvote 0
I don't have a quick solution, but the same thing happened to me when I took over a project for someone. I saved the file as something else and started to delete worksheet by worksheet (saving, and reopening) to see if it solved the problem. I was able to locate which sheet had the link and was able to eliminate it from there. It isn't the best solution, but it worked.

Upvote 0
You may find that these links are not the result of formulas entered into worksheet cells (which should be easy to find once you refuse to update links), but rather references in Defined Names. Take a look at those too! The ASAP Utilities suite (see www.asap-utilities.com.) which is a free add-in includes an Information command that lists all Range names and their referrals. You might find it useful.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-04-18 13:25

Upvote 0
Hello Mark or anyone
If I don't have the Asap utility, how can I find the reference of the Defined Name?
After I find the reference, what should I do next to disable the automatic linked list?
Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
I have written a utility that will delete links to other workbooks. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send it to you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back