Works in one place but not another.

kojak43

Yesterday, Adadin provided a neat formula that allowed dates over 90 days old to be counted on my Statistics worksheet. When I test it, it showed 6 jobs that were over 90 days old.
When I went to my DataEntry worksheet I had to search for those dates. I thought, well I have the makings of a conditional formatting formula. All I have to do it change it a little and use it there. So I changed it to read:
=AND($F$1-DATES>=90,STATUS<>"D") I added =today() to $F$1 in DataEntry sheet (Just like I did in Statistics worksheet).
And it just sits there like a lump. I expected if a date was more than 90 Days older than today, and it did not have a "D" in the Status column, it would turn Bold Red. Excel accepts the formula, i.e. it does not say there is an error, it justs does not work.
What have I done wrong?

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
On 2002-04-18 08:24, kojak43 wrote:
Yesterday, Adadin provided a neat formula that allowed dates over 90 days old to be counted on my Statistics worksheet. When I test it, it showed 6 jobs that were over 90 days old.
When I went to my DataEntry worksheet I had to search for those dates. I thought, well I have the makings of a conditional formatting formula. All I have to do it change it a little and use it there. So I changed it to read:
=AND($F$1-DATES>=90,STATUS<>"D") I added =today() to $F$1 in DataEntry sheet (Just like I did in Statistics worksheet).
And it just sits there like a lump. I expected if a date was more than 90 Days older than today, and it did not have a "D" in the Status column, it would turn Bold Red. Excel accepts the formula, i.e. it does not say there is an error, it justs does not work.
What have I done wrong?

AND returns a single logical value and $F$1-DATES is an array result with multiple elements.

Lets say dates are in E fro E3 on and status values in R from R3 on. Select all E-values, choose Formula Is for Condition 1, enter

=AND(TODAY()-E3>=90,R3<>"D")

and choose a formatting you wish.

Aladin

Upvote 0
Make sure you actually selected a format to be used in your conditional format. Plenty of times I have caught myself hitting OK without actually selecting a formula.

Your conditional format worked for me. I assume that DATES and STATUS are named ranges. Make sure that they are setup correctly.

Ok Aladin, I didn't know that he had DATES and STATUS setup as arrays. I took them as single cell ranges.

This message was edited by Al Chara on 2002-04-18 08:52

Upvote 0
=AND($F$1-DATES>=90,STATUS<>"D") I added =today() to $F$1 in DataEntry sheet What have I done wrong?

AND returns a single logical value and $F$1-DATES is an array result with multiple elements.

Aladin
[/quote]

Thanks. Naturally it worked. :)
I've read and reread your explaination and thought to have an array I had to enter via Shift,Control,Enter. I thought what was done with Dates and Status was a Named Range. (This is getting harder and harder to understand)and if I used those names, I would not have to write e.g. E3:E2000, I could just say Dates.
I understand that AND returns a single result, i.e. 1 or 0, after two conditions are evaluated. But why does an array, located in a single cell have multiple elements? Or do you mean that Dates is one element from one cell and Status is another element from a different cell? (based on my formula)
No, that is not what you are saying, you are saying $F$1-Dates = Array result with multiple elements. Why is it any easier for excel to understand (TODAY()-E3-90,R3<>"D")?
Would it stumble over =AND(Today()-DATES-90,Status<>"D")?
Does this EVER get easier?
Thanks for all your help.
K

Upvote 0
I've read and reread your explaination and thought to have an array I had to enter via Shift,Control,Enter. I thought what was done with Dates and Status was a Named Range. (This is getting harder and harder to understand)and if I used those names, I would not have to write e.g. E3:E2000, I could just say Dates.
I understand that AND returns a single result, i.e. 1 or 0, after two conditions are evaluated. But why does an array, located in a single cell have multiple elements? Or do you mean that Dates is one element from one cell and Status is another element from a different cell? (based on my formula)
No, that is not what you are saying, you are saying $F$1-Dates = Array result with multiple elements. Why is it any easier for excel to understand (TODAY()-E3-90,R3<>"D")?
Would it stumble over =AND(Today()-DATES-90,Status<>"D")?
Does this EVER get easier?

You might want to have a look at

http://www.mrexcel.com/wwwboard/messages/8961.html

where I describe how SUMPRODUCT works. Its contents apply also to formulas that you enter with control+shift+enter. Consider the formula:

=SUMPRODUCT((TODAY()-DATES>=90)*(STATUS<>"D"))

Activate the cell of this formula, go to the formula bar, select the TODAY()-DATES bit, and hit F9.

You'll see a constant array of differences:

[0]

{107;107;107;107;107;107;68;68;68;68;68;68;53;53;49;49;49;49;30;30;30;30;30;30;30;18;18;18;18;18;18;18;18;18;18;18;8;8;53;53;53;49;49;18;18;8;8;8}

Now hit the escape key, select the TODAY()-DATES>=90 and hit F9. You'll see a constant array of logical values:

[1]

{TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE}

Select the STATUS<>"D" bit and hit F9. You'll see another constant array of logical values:

[2]

{TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;FALSE;FALSE}

Hit escape, select the (TODAY()-DATES>=90)*(STATUS<>"D") bit, and F9. You'll get again a consant array, but this time, of 1's and 0's. Multiplying logical values are re-expressed as binary numbers:

TRUE*TRUE == 1
TRUE*FALSE == 0
FALSE*TRUE == 0
FALSE*FALSE == 0

Hence:

[3]

{1;1;1;1;1;1;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0}

SUMPRODUCT sums this arrays of 1's and 0's and returns 6.

You can say, non-technically, that SUMPRODUCT or control+shift+enter with array-formulas applies F9 to the arguments.

=AND((TODAY()-DATES>=90),(STATUS<>"D"))

normally entered, will always return the value corresponding to the evaluation of the first elements of [1] and [2], that is:

=AND(TRUE,TRUE) == TRUE

If you array-enter (with control-shift-enter) the above AND-formula, you'll get FALSE as result. A single FALSE anywhere in [1] or [2] is sufficient for AND to return FALSE.

When you use the AND formula in conditional formatting cell by cell, the result for each cell be always be the same: either TRUE or FALSE.

Excel understands the formula thus perfectly, but not the way you thought it ought to understand.

On the other hand,

=AND(TODAY()-E3>=90,R3<>"D")

computes a result for just E3.

The above formula becomes in E4:

=AND(TODAY()-E4>=90,R4<>"D")

and computes a result for just E4.

Hope this helps.

Aladin
This message was edited by Aladin Akyurek on 2002-04-18 16:10

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back