Excel 2010 "Save As" Freezing Problem - Hidden Dialogue Box

Dr.Crazy

Hello to MrExcel forum,

This is my first post here, I read all the rules and tips and hope I manage to make my first post without breaking any rules - if I do - please forgive my beginner's mistakes!

I have an interesting problem with Excel 2010. I found only one mention of this in the Internet - but unfortunately - no solution yet.

This is what happens: A user has an excel 2010 document open (can be more than one too). He modifies the document (or writes a new document) and tries to do a "save as" - but - once this is tried, excel freezes and doesn't let you do anything else other than kill the process (thus losing all data!).

After investigating a lot, the problem was found (but not the solution): What happens is that the "save as" dialogue box HIDES UNDER/BEHIND the excel document and since this dialogue box is the active window, you can't do anything to your document until you reach that active window (which we can't reach because it hidden UNDER the excel doc).

A way to get to the dialogue box is: if you show all open windows side by side (not sure how this is called), it usually gives access to the dialog box - but not always.

In the experts exchange, there was someone suggesting to disable graphics hardware acceleration within excel - but it was not useful either.

Do you have any ideas about how to solve this problem? Have you heard about this before?

BTW - I read in your rules something about "cross-posting" - I am not sure I understand what you mean by that, in case the meaning is if I asked the same question in another forum, then the answer is yes and here is the link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-835de6afddf7?tm=1305630640167&page=2#footer

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dr.Crazy

I had the experience again right before I was notified that there was a new post here ; ).

Closed out of Outlook and could see the Excel dialog box.

I have several Outlook add-ins. i am going to start removing them and see if anything changes.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I am experiencing the "save as" freezing problem on my MsExcel 2010, running on Windows Vista, when I open and try to "save as" a fully-working ".xls" file (which opens with a compatibility flag). Yet when I open a ".xlsm" file, I succeed to see the "save as" window and use it without problems.

I should specify that when I use the "convert" option, the file is converted to ".xlsx" which I cannot open (Excel finds corrupted !?).

Upvote 0
I have exactly the same issue (Windows 7, Office 2010).

It does appear to be related to Outlook. When I closed down Outlook, Excel the crashed completely - still losing my changes.

Where do I get a trusted copy of the dll from please?

Upvote 0
I have the same Issue, but it's on a mac and I'm not using Outlook. No ideas, but it just started today.

Upvote 0
We have Windows XP and Office 2010 and some of our employees have also the problem that boxes are behind Excel application.
Save or Delete cell, etc. I don't have read the solution above.

Upvote 0
You don't need to lose all your work but you do need to quit excel and go back in. If you ALT F4 this will close the dialogue box, save your files and quit excel.

Not great but still better than losing your work.:)

Upvote 0
I've discover, if you close Outlook, the window of Excel will appear ;)

Hello. I have a user with this exact same issue and am wondering if anyone was able to solve it. She has the problem on several computers that she works from.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I've discover, if you close Outlook, the window of Excel will appear ;)

I do not use Outlook but still have this issue. However, it is not necessary to close out of your other programs to see this. Just use Alt + Tab to cycle through your open Excel programs until you find the Save prompt.

However, it does seem like this should be a setting that can be altered somewhere and with regards to that, I have nothing further to add.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back