Saving files automatically while u work

RET79

Hi.

I had the unpleasent experience this morning of losing 3 hours worth of work on excel. Yes, silly me not saving the work as I progressed and having to rewrite a tricky macro all over again.

However, I was wondering if anyone had some sort of code that would mean the file I was working on would be saved periodically as something else, temporarily. I do not always want to save the file I am working on with autosave, since as I experiment a lot with things I only want to save the file at certain stages, when I have got things working correctly.

But, having a backup of the most recent version of the file stored somewhere else to be retrieved in the event of a crash would certainly be very useful indeed.

Thanks in advance,

RET79

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Mark,

I have the autosave thingy, but am not too keen on it personally - the reason being that I mess about a lot, and alter some things and don't want all that crap being saved. Also when u make it prompt u it drives me nuts as it keeps on interrupting.

Does anyone know if you can put some code somewhere that would mean it would save itelf as a temp file continuously somewhere else without having to prompt me and save all my messing about. If this was possible then I could just save the workbook when I want at meaningful stages.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-18 10:48, Mark O'Brien wrote:
Goto Tools|Add Ins, there should be one calle "Auto Save Add In" or something.

Then...

When you open your book, do a Save As and save it under a different name, or in a different folder.

When you've got what you want and it's working, do another Save As, but this time return it to its original name.

How's that?

Upvote 0
This code go's in "ThisWorkBook" it will auto save after three sheet calculations or re-calculation, automatically. Or, you can use the optional,"Time to Save!" message. Hope this helps. JSW

Private Sub Workbook_SheetCalculate(ByVal Sh As Object)
Dim myTest As Integer
Static x As Integer

x = x + 1
myTest = x
If myTest >= 3 Then
ActiveWorkbook.Save
'MsgBox "Time to Save"
x = 0
Else
GoTo myEnd
End If
myEnd:

End Sub

Upvote 0
Joe,

I certainly think that you are on the right track to what I want.

Yes, I want something with code in the workbook.

But, basically what I really need is this.

For instance, say I am working on a file called Master.xls and then I decide to mess about. I need for my work to be saved automatically every 5 minutes or so UNDER ANOTHER NAME while I can keep on working and saving what I do manually under Master.xls

I have had 2/3 instances of late where very important work was lost, and everytime I have been thinking that the answer would be whatever I am doing to be automatically saved under some other name in some other folder without it affecting what I am doing.

Would it be possible to use the ontime function for this? And instead of .Save could we have SaveAs "somethingelse.xls" but then carry on working in the master.xls workbook?

RET79

Upvote 0
Sub RunAgain()
mRunTime = Now + TimeValue("2:00:00") 'adjust to suit time needed
Application.OnTime mRunTime, "RunAgain"
Application.StatusBar = "Saving Latest Data ...."
Application.Wait Now() + TimeValue("0:0:02")
ActiveWorkbook.Save

Application.StatusBar = False
End Sub

'stop macro from running automatically
Sub StopIt()
On Error Resume Next
Application.OnTime mRunTime, "RunAgain", _
schedule:=False
End Sub

that would help
put the stopit file in the workbook before close
This message was edited by brettvba on 2002-04-18 18:42

Upvote 0
As before this code go's in "ThisWorkbook."

Private Sub Workbook_SheetCalculate(ByVal Sh As Object)
Dim myTest As Integer
Static x As Integer

x = x + 1
myTest = x
If myTest >= 3 Then
ThisWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="3" & ThisWorkbook.Name
x = 0
Else
GoTo myEnd
End If
myEnd:

End Sub

After 3 sheet calculations, your file is saved with a "3" infront of the current file name. So "File" becomes "3File" which after 3 calculations then becomes "33File" and so on. The current file is the file with the most "3's" infront of the filename.

My first code is better as this code will fill up your hard drive with copies of your work!

Between your "OnTime" code and my two calc codes you should be able to come up with the combination you want. JSW

Upvote 0
thanks for all your help guys, but this time i have to say that the add in suggested by first hob was perfect for my needs just now!
I recommend u go download it, it rocks.

RET79

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back