Saving Text Tab Delimited

doritav

I just created this file today using the Text Import Wizard. Even thought I click on Save, the Save As dialog box comes up. It says, "The file <filename> already exists. Do you want to replace the exising file?" I click Yes. Then it says, "<filename> may contain features that are not compatible with Text (Tab delimited). Do you want to keep the workbook in this format?" If I click No, then I have to say Yes to the next box, to save it, and then it brings me back to this same box where I started. Otherwise, if I say Yes, it saves it, but next time I still have all these boxes to deal with. I just want to save the file without a lot of dialog boxes to deal with. Can you help? Thank you!!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
You're inadvertantly saving your imported data back to disk as a tab delimited text file (.txt). That's why Excel is warning you that you're gonna loose formatting, formulas, etc. Just change the Save as type to .xls.

Upvote 0
Thank you!!!! I was putting an xls on the end, but it didn’t recognize it. In the Save As box, it has a dropdown for file type. When I selected Microsoft Excel Workbook (*.xls), it was OK!!!!

Upvote 0
is there a way to make this automated. I have a file that comes in "Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 Workbook". its modified by macros that merge and do various other formatting. The formatting will be lost if the user does not chose "Microsoft Excel Workbook" as the save as type... and many times the user is lazy.... is there a way to make the save as type change via a macro?

Upvote 0
Look at the Save As Method in the VBA help file & follow the link to File Format.

You can put the Save routine that you need in a Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) event to automate the save process.

HTH,

Smitty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back