Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Saving Text Tab Delimited

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just created this file today using the Text Import Wizard. Even thought I click on Save, the Save As dialog box comes up. It says, "The file already exists. Do you want to replace the exising file?" I click Yes. Then it says, " may contain features that are not compatible with Text (Tab delimited). Do you want to keep the workbook in this format?" If I click No, then I have to say Yes to the next box, to save it, and then it brings me back to this same box where I started. Otherwise, if I say Yes, it saves it, but next time I still have all these boxes to deal with. I just want to save the file without a lot of dialog boxes to deal with. Can you help? Thank you!!

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're inadvertantly saving your imported data back to disk as a tab delimited text file (.txt). That's why Excel is warning you that you're gonna loose formatting, formulas, etc. Just change the Save as type to .xls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you!!!! I was putting an xls on the end, but it didnít recognize it. In the Save As box, it has a dropdown for file type. When I selected Microsoft Excel Workbook (*.xls), it was OK!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Saving Text Tab Delimited

is there a way to make this automated. I have a file that comes in "Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 Workbook". its modified by macros that merge and do various other formatting. The formatting will be lost if the user does not chose "Microsoft Excel Workbook" as the save as type... and many times the user is lazy.... is there a way to make the save as type change via a macro?

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Re: Saving Text Tab Delimited

Look at the Save As Method in the VBA help file & follow the link to File Format.

You can put the Save routine that you need in a Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) event to automate the save process.

HTH,

Smitty

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others