Make a cell display another cells value only

Pedro's PhD

Board Regular
Hi all,

I have some formulae in A1, is it possible for cell B1 to display the value only of A1 without the link to the formulae. I dont want to have to run a macro, or paste values, more of a formula that could be assigned to cell B1 so whenever A1 is changed, so is B1 automatically.

Thanks,

Pedro.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Hi all,

I have some formulae in A1, is it possible for cell B1 to display the value only of A1 without the link to the formulae. I dont want to have to run a macro, or paste values, more of a formula that could be assigned to cell B1 so whenever A1 is changed, so is B1 automatically.

Thanks,

Pedro.

Maybe I've misunderstood but could you not just use (in B1)

=A1

?

Upvote 0
Explain the reason why you want this?

Upvote 0
Hi Glenn,

I have toned down my question for where it will be used, but the principle is the same. In the spreadsheet it will go in, the formula in A1 is 4 rows long in the formula bar, and it takes excel around 60s to calculate it.

If i have it linked, when i click on B1 it says =A1, but then it takes another 60s to calculate it. I was hoping for something that when i clicked on B1 it just said the value of A1. Not sure if this is possible, or if there is a way you can format the cell to effectively have a paste values assigned to it?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
What do you mean it takes another 60 seconds to calculate? If the formula is already in cell B1 it will get calculated automatically when A1 calculates ( and not double up the calculation ).

Upvote 0
Sorry, i have not been clear. The reason I wanted a cell with just the value in, is because I then copy that value into another workbook.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
You may suggest that I can link up that workbook, but that is not possible as i copy the values into different columns each time.
<o:p></o:p>
So ultimately, when I copy and paste into the new workbook, it takes another 60s. This is why i was looking to see if pasting just the values with no formulae attached would speed things up. (Paste values does not solve this). <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Upvote 0
Hi Pedro, did you ever find an answer to this? I'm facing this issue now and would love to know if there is a simple solution not involving macros.

Sorry, i have not been clear. The reason I wanted a cell with just the value in, is because I then copy that value into another workbook.
<!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /--><o:p></o:p>
You may suggest that I can link up that workbook, but that is not possible as i copy the values into different columns each time.
So ultimately, when I copy and paste into the new workbook, it takes another 60s. This is why i was looking to see if pasting just the values with no formulae attached would speed things up. (Paste values does not solve this). <o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0
Even i am looking for the same solution. This is required when i need to copy only the values to another application & not the formula.

Upvote 0
Hi Pedro, did you ever find an answer to this? I'm facing this issue now and would love to know if there is a simple solution not involving macros.

Hey excelnewb123123, apologies for not replying sooner, I have only been alerted to your original question following the one from loke_r83 today. Unfortunately I never did find the solution to the problem.

Sorry...... Pedro

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hengshankouniuniu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back