can you save an entrire workbook with links

brettvba

MrExcel MVP
I have a main workbook that I update I want I have another 10 workbooks which need to be exactually the same.

Im on a network so what I was wondering was can you somehow link the whole workbook including code , so that when anything changes on the main book the rest automatically update when opened??

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
brett...what exactly are you trying to do, is this maybe for sharing it with other users? if so, have you looked at the "share workbook" option?

Upvote 0
no I was just wondering if you could make other books to link to the main book just for updates changes etc like when you paste a link of data to another workbook and when you open the other workbook it updates the data.

Upvote 0
Do you mean just links? If you want another, or 10 other workbooks A1 value to be the same as your main one, you would put, in each of your 10 other workbooks, the formula :

=[book1.xls]sheet1!$A$1

then when you open those copies, it will ask you if you want to update the links.

is that what you mean?

Upvote 0
kind of it was mainly just the whole book because I also wanted to macro code to update as well like the data example

Upvote 0
hmm...i guess you could have the orignal sheet save itself as 10 different names using the before_close method?, unless you want these updates to go both ways, from original to others, and other changes to the original, in that case, you have me stumped :)

Upvote 0
Doesn't matter its know big deal thought there might have been an option to link a whole book thanks anyway.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutchie_1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back