I'm new at excel

heathermm

If somebody could please help me with this I would appreciate it. I'm know this is very easy for everyone else but I just don't get it. Tutorials read like jibberish
All I need to do is calculate hours and wages.
e.g.
column a name
column b wk 1 hours
column c wk 2 hours
column d total of hours
column e wages
column f hrs multiplied by wages
Also is there a way to apply this function for everyone at the same time or do I need to apply the function for every employee
I would also like to get a total of each column.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Heather

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
in column d put =B1+C1 or =SUM(B1:C1). double click on the fill handle (bottom right of cell) to copy the formula down to the last row you have data in.
in column f put =D1*E1 and do the fill handle thing again.
to total all columns, at the bottom of column b put=SUM(B1:B20) [adjust the cell range to suit]. drag the formula across to row f using the fill handle. to total column a put =COUNTA(A1:A20), again adjusting the cell range to suit.
is that what you wanted?
This message was edited by anno on 2002-04-18 17:41

Upvote 0
I appreciate the help you've given me, now just one more REALLY STUPID QUESTION. I've put in all of the formulas but nothing is adding up. It just continues to have the formula in the cell. How do I get it to perform the calculation.

Heather

Upvote 0
Did you put the = sign front of the formula? Also you can go to tools/options and be sure formulas does not have a check mark next to it........

Denny
This message was edited by kinkyparamour on 2002-04-19 19:20

Upvote 0
Sorry, you got ahead of me. Yes, the = sign should be there. now check the tools/options and look at formulas, this should not be checked.....

Denny
This message was edited by kinkyparamour on 2002-04-19 19:22

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-19 19:10, heathermm wrote:
I appreciate the help you've given me, now just one more REALLY STUPID QUESTION. I've put in all of the formulas but nothing is adding up. It just continues to have the formula in the cell. How do I get it to perform the calculation.

Heather

Hi Heather:
You did start the formulas with an = sign ... Right! and if it still shows only formulas and not the results of the formulas, chances are your spreadsheet is set up to show formulas and not the results -- if that's the case you can toggle it back to show formula results by
PRESS and HOLD the CTRL Key and then press ` key (the key under the ~ key near top left hand corner of the keyboard)

HTH

Please post back if it works for you ... otherwise explain a little further and then let us take it from there!

Upvote 0
Oh my gosh, you guys are great! Yes this worked. I am so thankful, it will save me a lot of manual work. I tried the control ` key and everything just filled in.
Again thanks
Heather

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back