Grouping

amitshah

Board Regular
I want to group similar items in a column together and need a quick way to do this.

What I have is a list of items (about 2000 items) and there are about 10 different columns for the items respective values ie. item number, item description, supplier, supplier partno ....... .etc. I want to group the items by suppliers. The problem is that cause I have sorted the list by item number the suppliers are not grouped and therefore are not one after the other, what I mean is that row 1 might have supplier1, row 50 might have supplier1 and the ones in between will have other suppliers. What is the quickest way to group by suppliers esp cause its such a big list?

Also if I want the groupings to have a heading on the side where the + and - buttons are, how can I do that? I want the heading to be the supplier's name (which I am grouping by).

Thanks.

Hi Guys:
I know the name is intimidating ... but working with the Pivot Tables is a delight once you get past the initial shock. Amit this is how you would go about it ... you got to jump in if you want to learn swimming...
1) click somewhere within your table
2) DATA|Pivot Table Report
3) then you will see some intimaidating layout talking about pages, columns, rows, etc. -- it may take a little getting used to but Pivot Tables are a beauty.

try it -- if you want email me your worksheet and then we can chat on it together

HTH

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Yogi thanks for the example I will try out the pivot table as well but I need to get this in as soon as I can so for now I will use sub-totals and will try it with pivot tables after that.

once again Thanks for that guys

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back