Grouping

amitshah

Board Regular
I want to group similar items in a column together and need a quick way to do this.

What I have is a list of items (about 2000 items) and there are about 10 different columns for the items respective values ie. item number, item description, supplier, supplier partno ....... .etc. I want to group the items by suppliers. The problem is that cause I have sorted the list by item number the suppliers are not grouped and therefore are not one after the other, what I mean is that row 1 might have supplier1, row 50 might have supplier1 and the ones in between will have other suppliers. What is the quickest way to group by suppliers esp cause its such a big list?

Also if I want the groupings to have a heading on the side where the + and - buttons are, how can I do that? I want the heading to be the supplier's name (which I am grouping by).

Thanks.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Thanks for that. I have already done that but then how do I group the items and have heading for the groupings?

what would be the easiest way to do this as fast as possible cause I would have about 30 odd suppliers and to pick out each of them is alot of manual work can this be automated?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
if thats what you want to do is a subtotal at each change in the column that the suppliers are in then add totals for the columns that you want.

Upvote 0
as an example:
item no| itemdesc | supplier | supp part no
item1 | xyz abc | supp1 | 1234
item2 | ghijklm | supp1 | 87823
item3 | abcdefgh | supp3 | 89732
item4 | pqrstuv | supp2 | 2347

etc etc

now what i want to do is group supp1 so it has a - and + button to minise the group or maximise it. same for supp2 and supp3. In this example there are only 3 suppliers but in my case there are about 30 different suppliers. So I need to find a way to group them automatically, if there is a way to do so. Otherwise do I need to select the suppliers manually to group them? Also once grouped next to the groups I need to put a heading to say what the groups are.

Hope you can understand what I am trying to ask.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi AmitShah:
I think you ought to try Pivot Table -- your original data can stay the way it is ... the Pivot Table will let you pivot the data any way you like -- this will facilitate things that you won't be able to do otherwise.

HTH.

Please post back if it works for you .. otherwise explain a little furthe and let us take it from there!

Upvote 0
yeah I think using pivot table would be the solution but havent used one before that is why was wondering if I could do it without using but will try it out.

Any hints on hwo to best use it?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
sorry I know what your trying to do can;t think of anything at the mo but in the mean time just autofilter the supplier you want to look at

Upvote 0
piviot tables I hate them too slow but is probably what you will need to use unless you went and manually grouped each supplier.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back