Unstable links

aitkena

I've recently come across the following problem:

- I created a brand new spreadsheet (New.xls) that links to one cell in a spreadsheet in directory A called name.xls
- I have another spreadsheet in directory B, also called name.xls
- when I open directory B's name.xls (obviously with directory A's name.xls closed), the numbers in New.xls change to numbers that I can't trace back anywhere

Directory A's name.xls was created 6 months prior to Directory B's name.xls, and has not been changed since it was created, hence it can't possibly be linked to Directory B's name.xls. However, Directory B's name.xls does link to Directory A's name.xls

Do you know what might cause this problem, and how I could go about fixing it?

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
aitkena,

My first instinct would say it has something to do with the cell reference. If you look at the reference (at least when i tried it) it just links to the workbook (not the path). It seems you need a way to keep a specific path in the link. When i tried putting a path in, excel took it out automatically. either that or name the file something different :) im sure someone knows how to handle this path problem

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying so quickly!

The reference does have directory A's full path name, which is why the problem has really got me stumped! Also, after I open directory B's name.xls and the link changes to an unknown number, I can then choose to update links (directory A's name.xls is the only file in the "links" menu) and the number changes back to the right one!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back