"ghost" macros

trf

Board Regular
I created a single macro in a workbook, then decided I didn't need it and deleted it. So the workbook contains no macros. But every time I open it, I get the disable/enable macros dialog box suggesting that there is a macro lurking in the file. Since my workbook is a model in progress that will eventually be sent to a client, just turning off the dialog box is not a permanent solution. I've read about ridding files of ghost links, but never ghost macros. Has anyone ever had, and solved, this problem?

(I'm using Excel 97, but I tested this out on Excel 2000 today and the same problem came up.)

Thanks,
Rob Fetter
trf@student.umass.edu

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
On 2002-04-18 22:24, trf wrote:
I created a single macro in a workbook, then decided I didn't need it and deleted it. So the workbook contains no macros. But every time I open it, I get the disable/enable macros dialog box suggesting that there is a macro lurking in the file. Since my workbook is a model in progress that will eventually be sent to a client, just turning off the dialog box is not a permanent solution. I've read about ridding files of ghost links, but never ghost macros. Has anyone ever had, and solved, this problem?

(I'm using Excel 97, but I tested this out on Excel 2000 today and the same problem came up.)

Thanks,
Rob Fetter
trf@student.umass.edu

Delete the Module(s) as well.

Upvote 0
Re: nuisance "Enable Macros" msg after all macros

I Found the solution on the Microsoft web site. I only had to do one thing differently ... For item 6 below in the RESOLUTION section, pressing the DELETE key did not work. I had to right-click the module name and select REMOVE, and confirm the prompt, to remove the module.

Then, when I saved the file, exited, and re-opened, the macros message was gone! Woo hoo! :biggrin:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329950

SYMPTOMS

When you open a Microsoft Excel file that does not contain macros, you receive the following error message:

Filename contains macros.

Macros may contain viruses. It is always safe to disable macros, but if the macros are legitimate, you may lose some functionality.

To close the error message, click Disable Macros, Enable Macros, or More Info.

CAUSE

This behavior may occur if the Excel file contained a macro that was removed, but the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) module that contained the macro was not removed.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this behavior, remove the empty VBA module. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Open the Excel file, and then click Disable Macros when the error message appears.
2. Press ALT+F11 to start the Microsoft Visual Basic Editor.
3. In the Project Explorer window, locate the file name. For example, locate "VBAProject file name.xls" (without quotation marks).
4. Expand the Object list.
5. Expand the Module list.
6. Select any module that appears under the Modules list, and then press DELETE to delete the module. (The module will probably be named "Module1," "Module2," "Module4," or a similar name).
7. Close the Visual Basic Editor, and then save the Excel file.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back