arrays

zviito

This is a two part question

I have a 2D array, say TheArray(1 to 365, 1 to 1000) say 365 days in year and 1000 trees. The data input is the number of fallen leaves. I would like to:-

1 - perform calculations on the data in rows. eg say row 1 is january first would like to find average number of fallen leaves.

2 - would like to put data from array into a chart/histogram, but not sure how to do that without actually printing the whole array into a worksheet and then using cell references (which I feel is lenghty)

thanx
zviito

p.s the tree and leaf thing is just an example I am not really doing this.....

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
On 2002-04-19 02:25, zviito wrote:
This is a two part question

I have a 2D array, say TheArray(1 to 365, 1 to 1000) say 365 days in year and 1000 trees. The data input is the number of fallen leaves. I would like to:-

1 - perform calculations on the data in rows. eg say row 1 is january first would like to find average number of fallen leaves.

2 - would like to put data from array into a chart/histogram, but not sure how to do that without actually printing the whole array into a worksheet and then using cell references (which I feel is lenghty)

thanx
zviito

p.s the tree and leaf thing is just an example I am not really doing this.....

I saw your original posting yesterday... and, couldn't understand your aversion to entering the data onto a worksheet. That being the case... why aren't you using a statisical package?

Upvote 0
well, I am new to vba, I am only just learning how to use it (am student). The data that I have put into the array is from an iterative process so its maximum size is actually about 365 X 10000 (number of iterations).

as you can see this makes for a very large worksheet. I have put the data into a worksheet, and then manipulated it from there. I just wondered if there is an easier way to do it by just calling the data from the array without having to display it first.

I am going to try and use a for next loop on the data in the array this weekend and see how it goes.

Upvote 0
Hi
Where is your array coming from?
From what type of file?
Obviously too many elements for one worksheet...
Seems to be an easy problem if you might care to post a little more details?
Thanks,
Tom

Upvote 0
Thank you Tom.

Well the Array as I said before is 2D. Its maximum size is 365 (days) by 10 000 (trials/iterations)
The array is actually the result of a random number generator (using the Rnd() function in VBA). I am doing some statisitical analysis. To answer a previous question, I am not using a statistical package cause I only have a standard computer with the standard office packages (unless there is a statistical programme that I am not aware of).

1 - performing calculations on the data in rows. eg say row 1 is january first would like to find average number for January.

2 - would like to put data from array into a chart/histogram. I have just learnt how to draw a chart. (recorded a macro then studied the code) so I think if I manage to do step 1, I may then print the chart data onto a worksheet instead of the whole array, then go from there.

I was going to try and use a for next loop on the data in the array this weekend and see how it goes, but I haven't quite finised it.

Upvote 0
Hi

You need a simple average for each of the 365 elements?

Sub Avg()
Dim TheDate As Date
Dim ThisDateAvg, e1, e2, DayTotal
Dim MyVeryLargeArray(1 To 365, 1 To 10000)
'assumes MyVeryLargeArray is loaded
For e1 = 1 To 365
DayTotal = 0
For e2 = 1 To 10000
DayTotal = DayTotal + MyVeryLargeArray(e1, e2)
Next
ThisDateAvg = DayTotal / 10000
TheDate = #12/31/2000#
TheDate = TheDate + e1
Range("A" & e1).Value = TheDate
Range("B" & e1).Value = ThisDateAvg
Next
End Sub

Tom

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back