Number formats

Paulasirius

Would anyone have any ideas on how to format numbers in the form of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.?
These are conditional formats in which the two letters following the number are dependant on the units value of the number, as in common use of dates such as 22nd April.
I would imagine that such formatting must be commonplace in the commercial workplace, but I can't think of how to get there. Any practical and simple solutions would be greatly appreciated

This message was edited by Paulasirius on 2002-04-19 04:39

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Hi Paula,

What exactly is it that you are trying to do as there is a limit of 3 conditions in conditional formatting.

Email me a copy of the file etc .

Jim

Upvote 0
Thank you, Ienze, Chip Pearson's two solutions are simply brilliant and very practical.
I am going to try using VBA for the first time. I don't know how it is used but I'll figure it out. I used to be a wizard with Basic, Cobol and similar languages in the 80's but I've never got round to using VBA yet. It's not the code writing so much as the what to do with it once you've written the **** thing. I definitely seem to be missing out on a lot without VBA.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back