A challenge for you

buntykins

Board Regular
I dont think this is possible, but if it is, could someone tell me how to do the following:

I need it so that when someone tries to activate the sheet tabs in the Tools>Options menu, a msgbox comes up saying "No, don't you dare you 'orrible slag!" and the sheet tabs don't come on

Any ideas guys?

Janie
xxxxxx

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Further to this, is there any way of just disabling the sheet tabs option? That would do. The dirty 'orrible slag part was my friend Tom's suggestion, and I've gone off it already

Janie
xx

Upvote 0
Here's one option to get you started. This does not stop someone from selecting the Sheet tabs Window option via Tools > Options > View (which I think is part of your second post), but this code will make those tabs disappear with your 'orrible slag message.

This code is triggered by a Workbook level event, when any cell is selected in any sheet after the tabs are displayed. You can augment this approach by copying the code in other workbook events, such as SheetActivate, SheetCalculate, and BeforePrint, etc.

The advantage to this approach, which you touched on, is to give a message to the 'orrible slag users that their attempt to display the sheet tabs is not successful because of your intentional workbook design, instead of them thinking their computer doesn't work properly.

Anyway, here's a start at getting what you want.

Right click on your workbook icon (to the left of the File menu option near the upper left corner of the monitor screen), left click on View Code, and paste this in:

Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
If ActiveWindow.DisplayWorkbookTabs = True Then
MsgBox "Sheet tabs may not be accessed.", 16, _
"Back off you 'orrible slag !!"
ActiveWindow.DisplayWorkbookTabs = False
End If
End Sub

HTH

Upvote 0
Paste this into the ThisWoorkbook Module in the VBE it will disable control 13 which is the Options Control on the Tools Commandbar.
Make sure you turn it back on with the deactivate command as well so it is available to other open instances of EXCEL

Private Sub Workbook_Activate()
Application.CommandBars("Tools").Controls(13).Enabled = False
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_Deactivate()
Application.CommandBars("Tools").Controls(13).Enabled = True
End Sub

Yours in EXCELent Frustration
KniteMare

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-19 06:11, KniteMare wrote:
Paste this into the ThisWoorkbook Module in the VBE it will disable control 13 which is the Options Control on the Tools Commandbar.
Make sure you turn it back on with the deactivate command as well so it is available to other open instances of EXCEL

Private Sub Workbook_Activate()
Application.CommandBars("Tools").Controls(13).Enabled = False
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_Deactivate()
Application.CommandBars("Tools").Controls(13).Enabled = True
End Sub

KniteMare

The Options item is not necessarily control number 13 of the Tools menu (it is not on my computer - it happens to be 15).

Suggest the following instead :-

Application.CommandBars("Tools").Controls("Options...").Enabled = False

Upvote 0
To: Afcb
Re: Thanks!
You Wrote:

Application.CommandBars("Tools").Controls
("Options...").Enabled = False

COOL! That is much better. I have a bunch of these "DisAble" commands I am going to reWrite to Caption instead of index. Your response was an AH-HA moment. I could not get these to work with Captions in the past, I was leaving out the trailing periods (...) Thanks for tip.
KniteMare
This message was edited by KniteMare on 2002-04-19 06:49

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back