Help - macro for importing csv file into Excel and format

yorkshirelad

Board Regular
This would get me out of a jam if someone could help.

I have csv file dailyrecords.txt in a folder 'records' on my desktop, which is replaced with a new file every day.

Once the file is replaced I need to import this into Excel and format on a daily basis.

Is there a macro I could set in Excel that would allow me to

a) Navigate to open the file, identify it as comma deliminated fiile, delete columns e and f and then import it into Excel.

b) After the import is completed I then need to set columns C & D to number format and set each column to auto-stretch.

c) I'd then like it to then prompt me to save it in the original location as Excel 97-2003 file called drecords_todaysdate.xls?

Any help would be really appreciated - please come back to me with any questions.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Doh just realised what I was doing, I've opened it as a text file and its worked, I was getting bogged down trying to record importing a csv and setting the columns.

Thanks for your feedback. The only thing I need is to know is how to save the file automatically as drrecords but include today's date in the file name.

Many thanks

Upvote 0
Try this as a skeleton:-
Code:
Option Explicit

Public Sub Import()

Dim sInFile As String
  Dim sOutFile As String

sInFile = Application.GetOpenFilename(FileFilter:="Text files (*.txt), *.txt")
  If sInFile = "False" Then Exit Sub

sOutFile = "drecords_" & Format(Now(), "[COLOR=red][B]yyyymmdd[/B][/COLOR]")
  sOutFile = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(InitialFileName:=sOutFile, FileFilter:="Excel 97-2003 files (*.xls), *.xls")
  If sOutFile = "False" Then Exit Sub

[COLOR=green] ' code to import the text file goes here[/COLOR]

Columns("E:F").Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
  Columns("C:D").NumberFormat = "[COLOR=red][B]0.00[/B][/COLOR]"
  Cells.EntireColumn.AutoFit

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
  ThisWorkbook.SaveAs sOutFile, xlExcel8
  Application.DisplayAlerts = True

End Sub
All you have to do is supply the import code as this is specific to the format of your CSV file. You may also want to adjust the bits in red.

Upvote 0
You could also precede the .GetOpenFilename and .GetSaveAsFilename statements with commands to switch to the drive and folder you want to start the navigating from:-
Code:
  ChDrive "C:"
  ChDir "\Temp"
(for example).

Note that my code in the previous post relies on you starting with a workbook with just my code in it and an empty Sheet1. When you run the code, the workbook is saved with the 'drecords_date' filename and the original workbook with the code in it is effectively closed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back