Cannot Save / Save As

Jon von der Heyden

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I did a bit of browsing on this problem. Found others suffering the same but haven't found any conclusive answer yet.

Every so often when I attempt to save a file, (including save as), Excel won'r let me. By won't let me I mean:

• using Save doesn't appear to do anything
  • using Save As doesn't either do anything, the dialog is not displayed and if I am doing via the File menu then the File menu is exited and the previous ribbon tab is displayed (i.ethe one I was on before clicking 'File')
  • if I close the workbook I am prompted to save, close without saving or cancel. Clicking save just invokes the same msgbox again.
I can't work out when it goes into this mode. Some days I can work without this problem, other days I encounter this 2 or 3 times.

The only thing I could suspect was I think this started around about the time I installed xlDennis' code library. I have uninstalled the addin and so far so good, but I cannot categorically say that this was the cause.

Anyone have any idea?

Cheers
Jon

Edit: I have read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271513
Doesn't seem to cover the issue I describe

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
I have never experienced this issue in the years I've been working with Excel. Does this seem to happen with a particular version of Excel? Would you be able to send me the xlDennis add-in (whatever that does ;)) so I can test it in a sandbox environment to see if I can replicate the issue?

Upvote 0
Are you using Excel 2010 and do you have PowerPivot installed?

Upvote 0
PowerPivot does not play well with (certain?) other COM add-ins, it seems. If you open the COM addins dialog and uncheck PowerPivot and press OK, then go back in and re-enable it, it should be OK. Unfortunately, you have to do that each time, so you'll probably want to write some code for it. :)

Upvote 0
Nice one thanks Rory. I think I'll just leave PowerPivot uninstalled and just enable it when needed.

Thanks

(y)

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's what I do. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back