subtotaling

jwa0

Start with a list of 100 numbers in column A. Display the average of the first five numbers in B5, the average of the next 5 numbers in B10, etc.

John Adams

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
is this a question?

if so, then a simple formula in B5 as follows...

=AVERAGE(A1:A5)

...will give you the value you want, and then you can copy and paste this cell every 5 cells. If you want a formula that you can fill down the whole list to give the relevant average every 5 cells, use the following in cell B5 and fill down from there...

=IF(ROUND((CELL("row",A5)/5),0)=(CELL("row",A5)/5),AVERAGE(A1:A5),"")

Upvote 0
Or, simply enter...

=IF(MOD(ROW(),5),"",AVERAGE(OFFSET(A1,-4,,5)))

...into B1 and copy down.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-04-19 13:36

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-19 13:30, daleyman wrote:
is this a question?

if so, then a simple formula in B5 as follows...

...will give you the value you want, and then you can copy and paste this cell every 5 cells. If you want a formula that you can fill down the whole list to give the relevant average every 5 cells, use the following in cell B5 and fill down from there...

=IF(ROUND((CELL("row",A5)/5),0)=(CELL("row",A5)/5),AVERAGE(A1:A5),"")

Hi daleyman:

Why not use your earlier simpler formula

highlite cells A1:A5 and then drag down ... just curious about the merits of using the other long formula you suggested.

Regards!

Yogi Anand

Upvote 0
Hi daleyman:

Why not use your earlier simpler formula

highlite cells A1:A5 and then drag down ... just curious about the merits of using the other long formula you suggested.

Regards!

Yogi Anand

I for one prefer to have a uniform formula in a given column. That way after row insertions/deletions one can easily fill down the formula from the top row without having to worry about which rows should contain the formula. Also, it makes it easier to use the Edit | Go To... Special Column Differences command to detect inconsistencies among the formulas of a given column.

Of course, I also prefer my own formulation...

=IF(MOD(ROW(),5),"",AVERAGE(OFFSET(A1,-4,,5)))

...but no surprise there! :)
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-04-19 13:52

Upvote 0
I for one prefer to have a uniform formula in a given column. That way after row insertions/deletions one can easily fill down the formula from the top row without having to worry about which rows should contain the formula. Also, it makes it easier to use the Edit | Go To... Special Column Differences command to detect inconsistencies among the formulas of a given column.

Good point Mark! ... makes for a more robust setup. It is a pleasure to get your insightful comments.

Regards!

Yogi Anand

Upvote 0
yep, i bow at your feet! Got the ball rollin' though huh?

Yogi, was just doin it logically with my existing skills, not with Marks expertise (his MOD solution is very nice).

_________________<table style="background-color:#0e54be" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2"><td style="background-color:#ceffff;font-family:arial;color:#072c63;font-size:8pt;">   DALEY   :)  </td></table>
This message was edited by daleyman on 2002-04-19 15:38

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back