Strange Error Message when trying to insert column

Yepper

Board Regular
Hello. In an Excel 97 file, I had copied a worksheet, grouped the two identical worksheets, and then tried to insert a column. I immediately received the following "Program Error" message on my screen: "EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." The file and Excel close automatically. I tried to insert a column in the same file from another PC, and the same error message appeared. The worksheet has external references but no names.

Questions: How can I determine what the problem is? What is an "error log" and where do I locate it?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Hi Yepper,

With this type of problem the log file is generally of no help, except for the Excel developers. This problem is one that the Excel developers didn't foresee occurring and therefore didn't write any error handling or prevention code for it. All that said, in this particular case in which you have described what you are trying to do, I'm virtually certain the problem is because you are applying a paste or insert operation to the grouped set of sheets, and that the problem will go away if you insert the columns into the sheets one at a time (using a For..Each loop, for example).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back