Hide a personal ID code in a cell

Saa62

I have a worksheet that gets reviewed by various people. I am looking for a way that after a person reviews the worksheet that they can type in an assigned ID code to varify it has been reviewed, but I don't want the ID to be visable(maybe ******) to the average user. Security does not have to be real high just enough to attempt to keep everybody honest. Any suggestions

Thanks

Scott

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Highlight the cells you want the user the enter the ID code and Select Format > Cells > Protection tab. Uncheck Locked and check Hidden. Click OK. Format the cells with a non-character font such as windings. Password protect the worksheet by selecting Tools > Protection > Protect Sheet and enter a password.

Upvote 0
i often add Excel security is very basic and takes advanced users a few seconds to bust it open, some tricks are harder but not impossible if hard we rip the data so dont even need to get into it,

Just so you know im not posting this to be a fool, just warning NOTHING is scure and so you need to be awair that no one is protecting you.

I can more or less get into ANY files passwords now also, but takes time... but yo will stop the idiots that have the odd look i guess.

Take care... no secure fix bar do not give the data that you dont want guys to see in the first palce.

Upvote 0
The hidden check box in properties was what I needed. Thanks for the help.

I do realize that security is not much of a reality with excel, but it is good enough for what I need in this situation.

Thanks again.

Scott

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back