Power Excel Techniques: 5/2/99 How to use INDEX(MATCH()) ins

Enjoy_Playing

I tried the =MATCH(A10,$B$2:$B$6,FALSE)and the =INDEX($A$2:$A$6,MATCH(A10,$B$2:$B$6,FALSE),1) using your employee worksheet sample in the article, but the results showed "N/A" for both these statements. I've tried different values (A8 i/o A10), but I still get the same results.

I wanted to see if these functions would work for in getting data from different rows on Sheet1 (database) linked to Sheet2 (report), Sheet3 (report), Sheet4 (report), instead of having to copy/paste. So, if I have a "X" in column A1, a "Y" in column A2, and a "Z" in column A3, how do I tell excel to link all "X" rows in column A to Sheet2, all "Y" rows in column A to Sheet3 and all "Z" rows in column A to Sheet4? Will INDEX/MATCH work, or is there a better way to do this?

I sure would appreciate knowing why I couldn't get the above stated formulas to work, and if INDEX/MATCH is the solution for my linking data to different reports. Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Hi JP,

Well I don't have a clue as to why your formulas don't work, but I can assure you that that they will. I usually open a new workbook, the help file and work the examples on a clean sheet until I get it down.

As to which on to use it just depends. Often more on how the data is organized than anything else. I my case each plant/department has a database and for some reports I just reference the individuals, but corporate wants an overview.

Most of the time if you are looking up something I use the Vlookup, Hlookup or Lookup, but if I just need to retrieve from a matrix and I know the offset I will use index.

If you can give a little more info, maybe, we can figure out your specific problem.

HTH

Rocky...
This message was edited by Rocky E on 2002-04-22 06:53

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back