Placing graphs in MS Word: .doc-file grows LARGE!!

torbjoen

Hi!

I'm writing a report in MS Word, and I'm presenting some graphs inside the document.

Right now I've put 3-4 graphs inside my word-doc, and when I'm finished, I will be looking at 10-30 graphs.

I'm using "Insert->Object->Microsoft Word Picture" to paste in the graphs copied from Excel. I'm not interested in saving all the data within the word-doc, just the graph. And the resolution of the graph is much lower than the resolution of the data source.

Before I put the 3-4 graphs into the doc, the size was 1.3MB, but afterwords it was 3,8MB! What will happen if I put 30 graphs inside it!? I'm guessing up to 40MB, or something!!!

How can I prevent this? I thought of taking "print screens" of the graphs and presenting them as pictures, but that is a bad solution - very static.

Thanks!

Torbjørn
This message was edited by torbjoen on 2002-04-22 07:26

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Have you considered saving your Excel document using "Save as HTML..." and then using Word's Insert | Picture | From File... menu command to add the GIFs created by Excel?
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-04-22 07:51

Upvote 0
Hi torbjoen,

I think you will find that the most efficient way to paste graphs from Excel to Word is not via bitmap, but by Enhanced Metafile. Not only is this efficient, but maintains full quality and is scaleable. A simple graph will only add ~2KB to the file size. To paste the graph as an Enhanced Metafile simply copy the graph in Excel, then do an Edit -> Paste Special in Word, selecting the Enhanced Metafile option.

Upvote 0
Thanks, guys :)

I'll go for the "Special Paste" suggestion! I can live with 2KB :)

Best regards,
Torbjørn

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back