Excel AutoFill Default

jarens

Excel defaults to filling a series with the autofill. I put 1 in cell a1 and autofill down it goes to 2,3,4,5...
How do I change the default so it stays 1 all the way down?

I know to use CTRL/click/drag to copy.

What I am asking is if the default can be changed so that clicking and dragging produces a copy; CTRL/click/drag produces the series.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
I'm not sure if this helps you out for your specific problem, but in the case you listed above, if you were to place a 1 in both cells A1 & A2, highlight both cells with the cursor, -then- drag it to copy, or double-click to auto fill, it will remain 1's all the way down.

Upvote 0
jarens said:
Excel defaults to filling a series with the autofill. I put 1 in cell a1 and autofill down it goes to 2,3,4,5...
How do I change the default so it stays 1 all the way down?

I know to use CTRL/click/drag to copy.

What I am asking is if the default can be changed so that clicking and dragging produces a copy; CTRL/click/drag produces the series.

Thanks!

Excel doesn't default to filling a series if you left click on the fill handle and drag down. If you right-click on the fill handle and drag you'll be promoted for the desired nature of the fill. What's there to customize?

Upvote 0
The problem is because he is using the double click, not the drag and click!

Can you answer his question?

How does he get excel to default to COPY instead of SERIES on a double click auto fill??

No one answered his question!

Upvote 0
Re: Excel AutoFill Default BUMP!

Bump Bump!

Okay you experts!

Simple question! How long has this guy been waiting for an answer?

Here it is:

HOW DO YOU MAKE EXCEL DEFAULT TO 'COPY' INSTEAD OF 'SERIES' WHEN YOU DO A DOUBLE CLICK AUTO FILL ON THE FILL HANDLE???

(Excel defaults to 'SERIES' if you are copying a number)

Any takers?

Upvote 0
Wow, This question is from 2003 and still no answer? I though you folks were the EXCEL EXPERTS?

EXCEL SPREADSHEET:

A B C D
________|________|_______|_______|____________________________
2|______|________|_______|_______|
3|______|1______. |_f_____|_______|
4|______|________|_f_____|_______|
5|______|________|_f_____|_______|
6|______|________|_f_____|_______|
7|______|________|_f_____|_______|
8|______|________|_______|_______|

Look guys: if you put your mouse pointer on the little fill handle at the bottom right corner of cell B3 and DOUBLE CLICK - the **** Excel program will fill in a series of numbers doen to the end of where the letter "f" is in the ajacent cells. Then yu need to click another box to get it to switch to COPY.

Is there a way to just make it default to COPY??

The guy wants the number "1" to copy al the way down to the last "f".

You think this is no big deal but just consider it if you columns are 46 THOUSAND records long!!! The old CLAICK and DRAG crap is just not going to be practical!

Still no takers?

(Can you tel I'm baiting you?)

Upvote 0
I'll take the bait!! (I might learn something then!)
Excel tries to interperate a pattern.
Put a "1" on Cell B3 and B4 highlight both cells and double click.
"1" all the way down 46K rows! (as long as the data is uninterupted.)

Upvote 0
Did this ever get solved? I have a slightly different twist. I want to copy the phrase "Week 12" to a number of cells below. Then I want to copy "Week 13" to a number of cells below, etc. The cells I am copying to contain numbers that I overwrite when I do this. If I place the cursor on the cell containing "Week 12" and drag the fill handle, I get "Week 13" "Week 14" etc. So, I just go ahead and do that then select the copy cells option. But, it does get tedious.

Upvote 0
Duh! I'm so sorry, I just figured out the answer as soon as I posted this! If I hold down the CTRL key when my mouse cursor is over the fill handle, til I see the little plus sign, then it will copy the cell contents, rather than filling a series. :D

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back