Write selections from Excel listbox to cell?

JPG

Hi everyone,

I would've thought this was a simple enough question but I've been searching online for an answer all week, including on this site. I've seen answers that seem to be close to what I'm looking for but when I attempt to extrapolate and modify the code I get nothing but error messages. I've also looked through my two Excel 2007 books (each of them 1,000+ pages long) and there is no mention of this subject anywhere.

I am running Excel 2007. I have a multiselect listbox in a worksheet (not a user form). I want a user to be to be able to select multiple items from that listbox and when the the user moves out of the listbox (i.e., when the focus is no longer on the listbox), I want the selections to be copied into a cell on the same worksheet with each of the selections separated by a comma.

So for example, if the listbox (named "ListBox1") contained the following items...

North
East
South
West

...and the user selected both "North" and "West" from the listbox, the following text would get automatically written into cell A2 in the same worksheet after the user move outside of the listbox...

North, West

I know enough VBA to be dangerous (usually just tweaking code written by the macro recorder), but this one is eluding me. My two questions are:
1. What is the VBA code required to give me the result I'm looking for?
2. How would that code be called/where does it reside in the workbook? For example would I put the code in a macro and associate that macro to the listbox object??

Any assistance you can offer me will be appreciated.

Regards,

JohnG

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Hi,

Assuming the name of your ListBox = ListBox1 maybe this

Paste the code below in the worksheet code-page

Code:
Private Sub ListBox1_LostFocus()
    Dim listItems As String, i As Long

With ListBox1
        For i = 0 To .ListCount - 1
            If .Selected(i) Then listItems = listItems & .List(i) & ", "
        Next i
    End With

Range("A2") = Left(listItems, Len(listItems) - 2)

End Sub

Upvote 0
Complementing my previous post

You have to set the MultiSelect property of the ListBox to
1-frmMultiSelectMulti

Upvote 0
You're a genius! I wasn't using an ActiveX ListBox before, just a standard ListBox. Once I switched to the ActiveX style ListBox, made the necessary adjustments to the name and the properties and applied your code, it worked perfectly.

I've steered clear of ActiveX controls in the past but it looks like I need to learn more about them.

Thank you so much, you have saved me a lot of aggravation!:biggrin:

Upvote 0
oops...

If the user deselects all items an error occurs

Try this new version

Code:
Private Sub ListBox1_LostFocus()

With ListBox1
        Next i
    End With

If Len(listItems) > 0 Then
        Range("A2") = Left(listItems, Len(listItems) - 2)
    Else
        Range("A2") = ""
    End If

End Sub

M.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much, I didn't try deselecting all selections but I would've stumbled across the problem eventually. My work PC is shut down for the night, but I'll give the new code a try tomorrow. Thanks again! It's a real relief to have that issue solved.

Upvote 0
If you had two list boxes, listbox1 and listbox2, how could you make them both do what the above is designed to do at the same time. I have tried repeating the code but i just get errors.

Thanks

Upvote 0
If you had two list boxes, listbox1 and listbox2, how could you make them both do what the above is designed to do at the same time. I have tried repeating the code but i just get errors.

Thanks

Unfortunately my memory of this original issue is a little vague since I posted my question a few years ago now. As it turned out I later needed to abandon the Excel approach and instead recreated my form in Access. This turned out to be a better approach for reasons not worth going into here. I quit my job last year and my home computer (a Mac) does not have Office.

I'm hoping somebody else will be able to help you but to get the ball rolling I'll ask a couple of questions others may want to ask you:

Do you want selections from the two list boxes to be written to the same cell (e.g., cell A2) or to two different cells (e.g., listbox1 selections written to cell A2 and listbox2 selections written to cell B2)?

When you say you want the functionality to happen "at the same time" what exactly do you mean and why is the simultaneity of the function necessary? The way I had it working is that the selection(s) would not write to the cell until the mouse focus had moved out of the listbox. Since the user can only be in one listbox at a time, what is the need/benefit for the selections from multiple list boxes writing to the cell(s) at the same time?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck!

JPG

Upvote 0
Hi, thats for everyones help but this was taking me so much time to do that i have split the "from listbox to sheet" code into two separate buttons. The code i used to get them into a single cell was.

Code:
Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()

Sheets("Event_Details").Select

With ListBox1
        Next i
    End With

If Len(listItems) > 0 Then
        Range("B7") = Left(listItems, Len(listItems) - 2)
    Else
        Range("B7") = ""
    End If

Unload Me
    chefForm.Show

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back