linking data

amitshah

Board Regular
I want to link data from a database say MS Access to my sheets in excel. What is the best way to do this?

I also want that when data is imported only the data that matches a certain criteria is imported.
I need the data for say sheet 1 to come from two or more access tables or queries. The size of these
tables and queries can vary therefore you cant really know how many rows of data will be
imported. But if possible I want it to be imported as one big list from the database even though
it comes from different tables or queries.

Can I automate the process of checking everytime I open the sheet, that it checks from the
source if there has been any changes to the database. If there are changes then it reloads
the data or if no changes then no action is taken.

How do I go about this? Any ideas? If it involves using VB or VBA please give a few hints
cause I am new to it and learning. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Hello buddy

I am not saying this will solve your problem,but what I normally do is,-If the file is in access,I export it to excel and vice versa,then I do the tricks neccesary.You can try the same,If it does not work for you I suggest you wait for more suggestions.I will monitor this one closely for I also might learn something new today

Regards

Gareth Lombard

Ŏ¿Ŏ⌐

Upvote 0
Hi gareth thanks for the help. I am already doing that but was wondering if there is any other way that would link it.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back