Reducing File Size

Harley

I've created a very large workbook (7 MB) which incorporates numerous formulas that reference various worksheets in the same workbook. The workbook contains over 100 individual worksheets. On a daily basis, data is added to several of the "input" worksheets, and the formulas in the "output" sheets automatically create the finished product. When I'm done formatting (headers, footers, dates, bold, color, etc.) the "output" sheets I hide all of the "input" sheets and save the file and it's ready to send to the client.

However, it's very difficult and "unprofessional" to send such large (7 MB) Excel sheets to clients via email. I've discovered the ability to convert these large files to .pdf documents and that greatly reduces the file size. This conversion process takes a lot of time though due to the large size of the workbook.

My question: Is there any way I can dramatically reduce the size of my workbook without compromising any of the formulas I've created or deleting any of the worksheets? I need to find a way to make these worksbooks more manageable and easier to send via email.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
A trick that I learned for the excel file itself, is to begin at the first worksheet. and actually delete all columns and rows outside of the data area.

For example if worksheet A's data area is
A1-j40
Click on row 41 hold down control-end-(down arrow) then alt-e, delete
Also click column k hold down control-end-(down arrow) then alt-e, delete.

Continue this process for all your worksheets (tedious, but the process works)

I reduced a file size of over 4meg to 1.5meg by using this procedure.

Hope this helps.
-Dave

Upvote 0
I was hoping that there was a way to somehow eliminate the formulas in the finished product and just have the values inserted. Is there any way I can quickly replace all of the formulas in my output sheets with only the values. I know this can be done with a Paste Special but that would be very time consuming as well.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back