Charts not printing properly....?

jdowski

Board Regular
Hi,
We have an Excel workbook that we produce every quarter that has approx. 20 charts in it. We have been experiencing problems printing it where there are blocks within a given chart(s) that do not print, not a missing data point, it looks like a rectangle super-imposed over the chart that is empty or blank. There are some people who can print the workbook without problems. I used to be able to print it fine, now I have the same problem as the others. Any thoughts ???
Thanks,

Joe

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
No, the charts look and preview correctly, it is only a printing problem. I am not even convinced that it's an Excel problem per se. It's just that that's the program we use to generate and print all our charts. I print 100's of pages of reports from Access every month with no problem.

Upvote 0
My guess is your macro processes the sheets as one giant print job. try using a short loop to print each sheet separately. Worked for me when I had a similar problem with an HP LaserJet4000N

Upvote 0
I don't use a macro to do the printing, I just highlight all the tabs that need to be printed and then print them. I can try printing them one at a time but then if that worked that would be a pain in the butt....?

Upvote 0
You could use a really easy macro like this:

'Prints every sheet
Dim ws as Worksheet
Sub PrintMe()
For Each ws in ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
ws.PrintOut
Next ws
End Sub

If you need to print only certain pages, let me know. You can then assign the macro to a button on the toolbar for easy access

hth

Upvote 0
Yes, actually we don't print every sheet. Some sheets are just links or data sheets where raw data comes in either through MS Query are direct linking. So how would I specify which sheets I want printed ??

Thanks,

Joe

Upvote 0
There's a lot of different ways to do this. If I asked how you differentiate the sheets you need from the others, what would you say?

Upvote 0
In general, here's some options:
(1) if you know specific names
(2) if they are in a certain order
(3) If a certain cell on each page is special

examples of modifying the scrip

For Each ws in ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
If ws.Index >0 and ws.Index <11 then
ws.Printout
end if 'Prints the first 10 tabs
If ws.name = "A Certain tab Name" then
ws.printout
end if 'prints a tab if it's name is something special
If ws.Range("A1").Value = "Print" then
ws.printout
end if 'Checks cell A1 on each page

What I do is reorder my sheets at the end of the running some macros. Since I always know the name of the first and last sheet I need to print, i use this setup.

Dim ws as Worksheet
Dim FirstPage as Integer, LastPage as Integer
Sub PrintMe()
FirstPage = Sheets("FirstToPrint").Index
LastPage = Sheets("LastToPrint").Index
For Each ws in Activeworkbook.Worksheets
If ws.index >= FirstPage and ws.index <= LastPage then
ws.Printout
End If
Next ws
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for you reply journeyman. I think your last method may work. I can't use the "value of cell A1" because half of the sheets are chart sheets. So say then that the workbooks has 20 sheets. 4 sheets are data links or whatever, of the 16 remaining, 8 are full chart sheets, the other eight are worksheets with small charts embedded on them. If I order all 20 sheets with the 4 I don't want either at the very end and then specify my print worksheet(s) range by giving naming chart sheet 1 as "beginning" and worksheet 16 as "ending" of range I can let it go at that??

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back