Got a good one!!!!

charlie79

Board Regular
I have an excel 2k workbook that is basically a front end to a access db (2k as well). In the workbook the user will select a value from a combo box, which will in turn populate certain cells in the workbook. Let's say the cells being populated are A1:A10. There are also two buttons, one to update the db with the values in A1:A10, another to restore the values from the db (simply in case the user made changes in the cells but decides he wants to go back to the db values). Here's what I want to do, maybe I'm getting to fancy. The user selects a value from the combo box, the cells A1:A10 are populated with values, with black text, aligned right. If the user changes that value, the text becomes red, aligned left. Am I dreaming?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hi,

You're not dreaming. It can be done. Just give people more time.

I'll try to cook something up if I get some time. I rarely use Access, so you may have to adapt an Excel only solution to the Excel-Access link.

This doesn't seem too difficult, only your short attention span may cause some problems. :)

Bye,
Jay

Upvote 0
Sorry, wasn't trying to be impatient. I;m just so used to quick replies from everyone! Thanks in advance for your time!

:wink:

Upvote 0
I may be pushing my luck, but maybe someone who's on today can figure this one out... Thanks for considering...

Upvote 0
I think this is actually very simple. You simply want the change in color to be temporary, right? The next time the data is loaded from the db you don't want anything to be red right?
You should use the Worksheet_Change event. THis event takes a range as an argument and is called anytime the value in a cell is edited. THe edited cell will be the range passed as the target. Within this event routine you check the adress of the target to make sure it is one of the cells you wish to keep track of. If it is you set the target's font color to 255, or some other shade of red. WHen new data is loaded you will need to specifically reset the cell's font color. I'm sure the allignment is just as easy.
This message was edited by dhoffman on 2002-04-24 11:45

Upvote 0
Please bare with me, but is this right?

Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)

Range(Target).Font.Color = RGB(255, 0, 0)

End Sub

It must not be, since I get a run-time error: "Method 'Range' of object'_Global' failed."

Enlighten me...

Upvote 0
no, it appears you are using the code module linked to the workbook object. You want your code to go in the module linked to the worksheet itself. The name of the routine you will use is:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

code will be something like this:
target.font.color = 255

Upvote 0
No, that didn't seem to work. I don't know if I'm missing something, but that event does not get run when I type values into cells and press enter. I know this cause I set a breakpoint at the sub, and it didn't break.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back