Drag and copy with auto-Cell reference adjustment?

RHH1095

Is there a way to drag and copy and automatically adjust cell references for the following expression as I describe below.

This formula is in Cell A7...
=ADDRESS(MIN(IF(A1:F6=A13,ROW(A1:F6))),MIN(IF(A1:F6=A13,COLUMN(A1:F6))),4)

When I drag it to Cell B7 I would like it to become....
=ADDRESS(MIN(IF(G1:L6=B13,ROW(G1:L6))),MIN(IF(G1:L6=B13,COLUMN(G1:L6))),4)

As you can see I would like A1:F6 to adjust to G1:L6 (By 6 cells) and A13 adjust to B13 (By 1 cell).

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
If you wish to retrieve the first cell containing a given value then the original is slightly flawed if one allows for duplicates

Assume A2 and B1 contain A13 - the original would return A1 as first match (min row being 1, min column being 1)

In reality you first need to decide whether or not row or column should take precedent - ie in above scenario which prevails A2 or B1 ? (column vs row)

Assuming row should prevail one possibility would be:

Code:
=CELL("address",INDIRECT("R"&SUBSTITUTE(MIN(IF(OFFSET($A$1:$F$6,0,6*(COLUMNS($A7:A7)-1))=A$13,ROW($A$1:$A$6)+COLUMN(OFFSET($A$1:$F$6,0,6*(COLUMNS($A7:A7)-1)))/1000000)),".","C"),FALSE))
confirmed with CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER
(enter alone will not suffice)

It should be noted however that the above is both an Array and Volatile and thus used en masse would perform poorly.

EDIT:

question also asked on OPs original thread: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2952371

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First thank you for your answer. It does work! How do I edit this solution to remove the absolute cell reference. i.e. $ signs on what is returned.

My orginal formula had a switch of 4 to remove. Not sure what to do with Cell function.

=ADDRESS(MIN(IF(A1:F6=A13,ROW(A1:F6))),MIN(IF(A1:F6=A13,COLUMN(A1:F6))),4)

Upvote 0
You might wrap within a SUBSTITUTE

Code:
=SUBSTITUTE(CELL(....),"$","")

(per earlier formula XL2007 or above is assumed)

Upvote 0
Why does the solution you suggested only work the next 8 cells to the right of the initial cell?.

I forgot to say earlier that there were no dupicates.

=SUBSTITUTE(CELL("address",INDIRECT("R"&SUBSTITUTE(MIN(IF(OFFSET($B$2:$G$7,0,6*(COLUMNS($B7:K7)-1))=K22,ROW($B$2:$B$7)+COLUMN(OFFSET($B$2:$G$7,0,6*(COLUMNS($B7:K7)-1)))/10000000000)),".","C"),FALSE)),"$","")

Upvote 0
Perhaps:

Code:
=SUBSTITUTE(CELL("address",INDIRECT("R"&SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(MIN(IF(OFFSET($B$2:$G$7,0,6*(COLUMNS($B7:K7)-1))=K22,ROW($B$2:$B$7)+COLUMN(OFFSET($B$2:$G$7,0,6*(COLUMNS($B7:K7)-1)))/1000000)),"0.000000"),".","C"),FALSE)),"$","")

If as you say you have no dupes you could "simplify" to:

Code:
=ADDRESS(MIN(IF(OFFSET($B$2:$G$7,0,6*(COLUMNS($B7:K7)-1))=K22,ROW($B$2:$B$7))),MIN(IF(OFFSET($B$2:$G$7,0,6*(COLUMNS($B7:K7)-1))=K22,COLUMN(OFFSET($B$2:$G$7,0,6*(COLUMNS($B7:K7)-1))))),4)

however, with more thought I'm sure you could streamline - I'm rushing off I'm afraid.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBCTeacher

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back