"Personal.XLSB is locked for editing"

im2bz2p345

Board Regular
Hello all,

I have a simple macro that's in my default Excel startup file (Personal.xlsb - located in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART).

The problem is when I try to open two instances of Excel (not create a new workbook). I get the error message "Personal.XLSB is locked for editing."

I've look at other threads that talk about adding the macro as an "Add-In" (http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462524), BUT my problem is that I want to assign the macro a keyboard shoutcut (currently set to ctrl + shift + v).

Is this possible? If so, can someone walk me through it since I'm very new to add in and don't know of a way to assign an add-in macro a keyboard shortcut.

~ Im2bz2p345 :)

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Close the instance of Excel that has opened Personal read-only, and assign the shortcut in the other instance. Then save Personal.xlsb (you can do that explicitly via the VBE, or be prompted to do so when you close the second instance of Excel).

Upvote 0
Close the instance of Excel that has opened Personal read-only, and assign the shortcut in the other instance. Then save Personal.xlsb (you can do that explicitly via the VBE, or be prompted to do so when you close the second instance of Excel).

Maybe I'm not understanding clearly enough, but let me clarify my situation..

Personal.xlsb (located at C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART) is where my macro's are saved and where my shortcut is saved.

If I open the workbook MasterFile.xls, it automatically opens Personal.xlsb (also the .XLAM add-in files located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Library). My macro shortcut works fine in this document.

With MasterFile.xls already open, if I then open a totaly new instance of Excel (through Start -> Programs -> Microsoft Office -> Excel 2007), I get promoted "Personal.XLSB is locked for editing." If I choose "Read-Only," my macro shortcut doesn't work. If you hit Ctrl + Alt + Del to get into the Task Manager, you'll notice there are two instances of "EXCEL.EXE" running.

If I just double click an exciting Excel file (SecondFile.xls), it opens fine without getting the prompt (because this doesn't create a new instance of Excel; basically just opens the file using Office button -> Open). My macro shortcut works fine in this case. If you hit Ctrl + Alt + Del to enter the Windows Task Manager, then go to Processes, you'll notice only one instance of "EXCEL.EXE" is running.

I want to know if there is a way to have two instances of Excel open (two processes in Task Manager running), without it prompting me and still being able to use my macro shortcut. Perhaps an add-in is the way to go about this, but I don't know if marco add-ins can be assigned keyboard shortcuts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In that case, I can't answer your question because I'm not familiar with your problem. I had thought you were trying to create a new shortcut in a read-only version of Personal, which wasn't going to work.

I have a Personal.xls, and use both Excel 2003 and 2007. I frequently have two or more instances of one or both open, and all but the original have Personal opened read-only -- but my macro shortcuts are available in all instances.

Sorry I can't make a suggestion.

Upvote 0
Okay, I just tested it again and my shortcuts appear to be working in both instances of Excel now (there was something wrong in my Personal.xlsb file).

I'm still wondering if there is a way to create a macro add-in for Excel, but assign it a shortcut?

For example, I have this simple macro in my Personal.xlsb assigned to the shortcut Ctrl + Shift + V:
Sub PasteSpecial()
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+V
End Sub

Is there anyway that I add this macro into an add in, but still retain my keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + Shift + V)?

Upvote 0
Just create the shortcut and save the add-in. It will be active when the add-in is loaded, and deactivated when it isn't.

Upvote 0
Just create the shortcut and save the add-in. It will be active when the add-in is loaded, and deactivated when it isn't.

Thank you for all your assistance shg! That worked great. I'm all fixed up now!

Upvote 0

I am new to all of this and need help with this "SHG" thank you in advance for your time and consideration in regards to this matter. If I open up Excel (I am using 2016 version) no matter whether I have any other Excel files open, it always states that I have my personal.xlsb file open and I can either Read-Only or Notify - I am not sure why this happens but I did create like two macros which I made global so that they are saved in my personal.xlsb file ---
So with all that being said I am not understanding your statement ----

I am not sure how to do this - what do you mean by just create a shortcut? Where do I create the shortcut? and What am I creating a shortcut to?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back