More Help Needed From Aladdin

Harley

A week or so ago you were helping me with a problem I was having referencing hyperlinks in different worksheets.

I went back and changed how I entered the hyperlinks in the first place. Instead of using the =HYPERLINK formula, I used the Insert-Hyperlink window. I now have all of my hyperlinks changed to this format.

I went back and entered the UDF's that you provided me. And in the appropriate cell, I enter the formula =HYPERLINK(HLLink(Joe!B1),HLText(Joe!B1)). When this formula is entered, the link works (it takes me to the appropriate webpage) but the text is not correct. The text that appears is from cell B1 of the active page, not from the "Joe" worksheet.

If I remove the latter part of the =HYPERLINK formula and keep only, =HYPERLINK(HLLink(Joe!B1)) the entire URL shows up in the cell. The link works but I need it to show only the name I've given the link, not the entire URL.

Any more help? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
On 2002-02-25 10:40, Harley wrote:
A week or so ago you were helping me with a problem I was having referencing hyperlinks in different worksheets.

I went back and changed how I entered the hyperlinks in the first place. Instead of using the =HYPERLINK formula, I used the Insert-Hyperlink window. I now have all of my hyperlinks changed to this format.

I went back and entered the UDF's that you provided me. And in the appropriate cell, I enter the formula =HYPERLINK(HLLink(Joe!B1),HLText(Joe!B1)). When this formula is entered, the link works (it takes me to the appropriate webpage) but the text is not correct. The text that appears is from cell B1 of the active page, not from the "Joe" worksheet.

If I remove the latter part of the =HYPERLINK formula and keep only, =HYPERLINK(HLLink(Joe!B1)) the entire URL shows up in the cell. The link works but I need it to show only the name I've given the link, not the entire URL.

Any more help? Thanks.

Using Insert|Hyperlink is mucho better (although I'm a bit frustrated about the problems that occur when we use the HYPERLINK function).

I just did an Insert|Hyperlink in A2 sheet Joe: There was no display-name, so I typed myself "google":

I have in A2 this "google" underscored and in blue: It's a clickable link.

In B2 In Joe I've used: =HLLink(A2)

and C2: =HLText(A2)

What you get to see in A2:C2 is:

{"google","http://google.com/","google"}

The first "google" is the true hyperlink.

In A2 of the sheet Mary I entered:

=HYPERLINK(Joe!B2,Joe!C2)

I get a clickable hyperlink with "google" as display-name.

Can you check of this also works for you?

Also, you could give me one of those with which you get wrong display-name?

Aladin

Upvote 0
Yes. I got it to work. I was entering the =HYPERLINK function incorrectly.

However, as I expected, because I am using the =HYPERLINK function I cannot convert this document to .pdf format.

I've recently discovered that the only way to get hyperlinks from Excel 2000 to work in .pdf format is to enter them using the insert hyperlink window.

Oh well, at least I learned something from this whole experience.

Thanks for all your help.

Upvote 0
You're welcoome.

On 2002-02-25 12:53, Harley wrote:
Yes. I got it to work. I was entering the =HYPERLINK function incorrectly.

However, as I expected, because I am using the =HYPERLINK function I cannot convert this document to .pdf format.

I've recently discovered that the only way to get hyperlinks from Excel 2000 to work in .pdf format is to enter them using the insert hyperlink window.

Oh well, at least I learned something from this whole experience.

Thanks for all your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kj9

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back