How do I HYPERLINK to a FOLDER?

XLML

I want to click on a cell and have it open a certain FOLDER in Windows Explorer. I know how to right click on a cell, choose HYPERLINK and browse for a particular file in that folder. However, how would I have a certain FOLDER open listing all the files in it (through Windows Explorer)?

Thanks,
XLML

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
One thing you may want to do is to figure out the path to the folder you would like the hyperlink to open. To do so, right click the folder and select properties. there you can copy the exact path. Once you know that, go back to your hyperlink edit screen and paste the path into the 'type the file or web page name' line. Hopefully this will work for you.

Upvote 0
I am trying to do something almost exactly the same.
I have tried right clicking and adding a hyperlink to a folder, and that works fine, but when i use the =HYPERLINK function i can't get it to work.
Here is the code i used.

First i made a hyperlink from the right click menu and i got this code when i hover over the link;
Code:
file:///\\Seav0009\Saporders\2010\3103796079
This link works no problem and will pull up the folder i want.

However, i wanted to turn this into a function, so i could make the process shorter and easier to do copy to other lines, which i do a lot.
My first try was this;
Code:
=HYPERLINK("\\Seav0009\Saporders\2010\"&G924, "Cellname")
It does not work.
So i tried the advice from above with a more direct path name;
Code:
=HYPERLINK("Z:\2010\"&G924, "Cellname")
this too did not work.

I have over 150 orders i need to make links for and 5-10 new order per week that will be needing the same, so i can't keep using the right click method, it takes far too long. And i need the links to open folders specifically because i need to move files in and out of them throughout the day.
i also tried including the "file:///" bit in my first hyperlink function try, but that didn't work either.
I could really use some help, i cannot find anything online past what i already tried..

Upvote 0
Using
Code:
=HYPERLINK("Z:\2010\"&G924, "Cellname")
Was actually the correct way to do it. The problem i found through some help at work was that the folders pointed to were sometimes in the previous year's folder, so i had to change some to 2009 from 2010. Also some folders were not made yet, so that also caused problems.
Once i got those two things fixed, the links worked great.

Upvote 0
I see. Thanks for fast reply. In couldn't get it to work either BUT I did make an interesting discovery. The format - =hyperlink(S:\Dwgs\3784_64s-EquipUpgrade\1_CustomerIN\Exports\Shared-w-3824","hti#3784") won't work. Your version does. I refer to that as a hard Hyperlink because it appaesr in the formula entry line. If you right click the cell and use the Hyperlink option there (soft Hyperlink to me) it works.
I do prefer the hard version however.
Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Yes writing the folder path works.

However, if the folder names contain spaces this method won't work.

In this case write the folder path between < and >
(ex: <\\documents\my file>)

I don't understand but if the folder name contains #, this method doesn't work either.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back