Problem with XL´97 / 2000

Sven Eichler

Hi out there!

I have this problem: I am a System administrator in a 35-people company. One of our Users got an XL-Sheet from one of our customers, and it was working fine. Then I chaned her PC to a newer one, including Win2K and Office 2K. So now, she tries using the thing, and if she tries to print out a part of it, XL says something like (I don´t know the exact phrase in english): "Printborders don´t fit on page".
If you go to print preview, the pages appear really, really small, the borders are so screwed up, that you have to manually pull themapart in order to see anything on the paper.
Question: Does this have anything to do with the change from Office97 to Office2000? Because other Users with Office97do not haqve Problems with it. What can I do? Help!!!

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
That should not be the core of the problem my friend.That should not nececerally be an excel fault,it could be from changing over to the newer version.Anybody can correct me if I am Wrong.Before you shifted from old to new......did you save you files ?;)
Try opening it as a excel 97 file and then it to 2000.See if it works then give me a shout again via e-mail page117 on board
:wink:

Upvote 0
@ Gareth: Hi, gareth, and thanks for your quick reply! As I am a new Member on this site, here is a short question: Why would I reply to you via e-mail if this is an official board-topic??? Do yoy always do it like that in here? I don´t mind, it´s just that I am not used to it from any other IT-board...
If I am to reply via e-mail, what do you mean by "e-mail-page 117"???

HELP :wink:))

Upvote 0
Sven,

reply to the board, this way we can all share the knowledge

anyhow...

Sven,

have you checked the printhead alignments within windows ? :

start
settings
printers
~right click her printer~
properties
utilities
print head alignements

this may not help, but at least it could eliminate a potential problem

Upvote 0
Ok i haver waighted on this onem i go for zoom settings and printer drivers

Reason
|||||||||||||||

Excel can not and never will print, this is a linked command to istruct windows spool manager and print manager to print via trigger event.

so i guess Drivers W2K Win is quite good but can through out prev settings if upgraded.

suggest fix:

remove uninstall drivers and relaod NEWEST drivers chack web for manufactures drivers might be newer.

Upvote 0
`morning!

OK, here is what I´ve got: Zoom-settings are at 85%, that way it has to work out, I checked that yesterday with an office97. Printer driver is not the reason, for I´ve tried that out myself before posting with a whole whack of different drivers. The weared thing is, that I tried it on another Win / Office2000 machine, and it worked!
So question: Where can I adjust any attributes that cause the document to change in the prescribed way???

Upvote 0
`morning!

OK, here is what I´ve got: Zoom-settings are at 85%, that way it has to work out, I checked that yesterday with an office97. Printer driver is not the reason, for I´ve tried that out myself before posting with a whole whack of different drivers. The weared thing is, that I tried it on another Win / Office2000 machine, and it worked!
So question: Where can I adjust any attributes that cause the document to change in the prescribed way???

Upvote 0
try open file in XP or 2000 excel PC and save as new name..

nowe try on doggy PC , not really doggy just a discripton of other PC.

This will rely on Excels advances in backwards compability and hope that any curut sections or now formed gaps the the bianry file structure is recovered / repaired and will allow 97 to open

If so re save as something quick so workable WkBk about in case all goes #^#^@#^&#^&

Upvote 0
Hi out there! :wink:

I have tried everything, but it just seems that maybe this file does have a problem, the weird thing is just that this occured directly with the upgrade to Office2000 and I am not going to believe in a coincidence... (if that is spelled wrong forgive me, for I am from Germany... =:cool: )
Does anyone else have any idea? The user is just about to take my head off... Understandeable but also painful...

Upvote 0
I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of excel or their migration strategies, so someone let me know if this is inacurate.

I would suggest that maybe the file was corrupted somehow previously but that the new excel binary was more sensitive to it and brought it to light.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back