Can I conditionally format a cell based on whether it is pro

Barry Katcher

I'd like to format my workbooks so that the font color of entries to unprotected cells is blue and the font color to protected cells is black, similar to 1-2-3. Any way to do this? Thanx in advanx.

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
When you go into 'FormatCells...' to unlock your selected cells, go into the FONT tab at the same time and select blue.

Upvote 0
If you wish to do this often, you might consider creating a cell "Style" for protected cells. Then just apply that "style" on selected cells. You can also apply "style" in VBA coding based on cell value,range,etc. Just a few seconds time saver.

Upvote 0
Thanx, Big Blue & lenze, but I would like this to automatically change the font color whenever I protect or unprotect any cell(s), similar to what Lotus does. Doesn't look possible, does it?

Upvote 0
Yes, but if you set up a style for unprotected cells, you simply change the style to protect and unprotect cells. Example:

Go to Format>Styles. You will see a name box displaying the style name of the active cell, usually normal. Type in a new name, such as 'protected' and click add. Then choose modify and select font color blue and unlock for protection. Now you can apply this style to cells you wish to unprotect and apply Normal to cells you wish to remain locked. You will no longer use the Format dialog to lock and unlock cells. Just toggle between the styles
This message was edited by lenze on 2002-04-24 07:43

Upvote 0
Barry,

Globally format your font colour to black

then choose conditional format and try :

=CELL("protect",a1)=0 with the associated font format as your blue

you should find your (default) locked cells are black font, with any unlocked cells blue because of the conditional formatting kicking in

edit - apply conditional format with all sheets selected and all cells highlighted
This message was edited by Chris Davison on 2002-04-24 14:42

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back