how to make a inventory list using barcode scanner

lenaraiwa

Hi, i am brand new to this forum, and not so fluent in excel for more complicated tasks.

i have been looking for a solution for this online, but seem to be running in circles, so thought i would post here.

I want to make an shipping list using a barcode scanner. i have a master list that contains all of the inventory numbers and the relevant item data in each row. i would like to be able to scan the barcode of the item and have excel automatically look up the row from the master list and put it into the shipping list.

I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction for this. thanks in advance for any help!

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
You will have to do this by first getting a bar code font for excel and a USB scanner so that you can attach it to your computer.

You can enter bar code fonts in Google search and download one for the type of bar code you are scanning. This will give you the ability to scan and have the cells populate with the bar code number that your scanning.

The next step with be to do a look up function (vlookup, or index,and match) with the scanned number against your master file to populate your form with the item description as you scan.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Hi, i am brand new to this forum, and not so fluent in excel for more complicated tasks.

i have been looking for a solution for this online, but seem to be running in circles, so thought i would post here.

I want to make an shipping list using a barcode scanner. i have a master list that contains all of the inventory numbers and the relevant item data in each row. i would like to be able to scan the barcode of the item and have excel automatically look up the row from the master list and put it into the shipping list.

I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction for this. thanks in advance for any help!

Download a font calle 'free 3 of 9'. It is a standard barcode font - you can create barcodes by putting a * before and after whatever the barcode you want i.e *brochure01* in font free 3 of 9 would return the value brochure01 when scanned - it is a MUST to have the * at either side. Also as mentioned above, once you have scanned this - use the value returned with a vlookup formula against your master inventory list to return the other values.

I have recently created something very very similar so would be able to help you further if required, could also send examples of my code.

Cheers
Graham

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thanks for the responses. I had downloaded the code 128 font and have been using it prevoiusly. was fooling around with the Vlookup formula before posting so will continue to tinker with that. thanks again!

Upvote 0
thanks for the responses. I had downloaded the code 128 font and have been using it prevoiusly. was fooling around with the Vlookup formula before posting so will continue to tinker with that. thanks again!

Sorry, do you mean you have found a free way to make an inventory list using barcode scanner?
[h=2][/h]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back