Need a formula to find difference between values in adjacent cells

Crissy

Hi, Hope you can help me. This is probably very easy and irritating question but I cannot remember how to find the difference between two values in adjacent columns.

I have two sets of figures and I need to have in the third column the difference in numbers, such as (a1) and (b1). A1 has a figure of say 1086 and B1 has a figure of 796 which would be easy if all the figures in column A were going to be the biggest, I would just subtract b from a but they may change next month to a being 695 and b 1123.

Hope you don't mind me asking this question guys as I have completely forgotten how.

Thanks in advance anyway and will see you again soon no doubt

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Hi, Hope you can help me. This is probably very easy and irritating question but I cannot remember how to find the difference between two values in adjacent columns.

I have two sets of figures and I need to have in the third column the difference in numbers, such as (a1) and (b1). A1 has a figure of say 1086 and B1 has a figure of 796 which would be easy if all the figures in column A were going to be the biggest, I would just subtract b from a but they may change next month to a being 695 and b 1123.

Hope you don't mind me asking this question guys as I have completely forgotten how.

Thanks in advance anyway and will see you again soon no doubt
Maybe this...

=ABS(A1-B1)

Upvote 0
Thank you so much T. Valko. Could not remember what I had used before, you have save me a lot of work trying to figure out what I had to do. So simple, I may have been thinking about some other formula.

Thank you

Upvote 0
Thank you so much T. Valko. Could not remember what I had used before, you have save me a lot of work trying to figure out what I had to do. So simple, I may have been thinking about some other formula.

Thank you
You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback! :cool:

Upvote 0
Hi T. Valko,

You will be pleased to know that I managed to put a conditional format on my work on my own, my god my old brain is working. Need to spend more time watching the mrexcel videos I think to kick start my brain into working.

thanks again :)

Upvote 0
Hi T. Valko,

You will be pleased to know that I managed to put a conditional format on my work on my own, my god my old brain is working. Need to spend more time watching the mrexcel videos I think to kick start my brain into working.

thanks again :)
Good deal! :cool:

Excel will keep your brain working, that's for sure!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back