This might be tricky

Al Chara

MrExcel MVP
Hi all,

I have a sheet with two columns. Column A has part numbers organized by department and Column B has the cost per part number. I have a macro that sets the print area depending on the department.

I would like to have a way to print the total cost of all the part numbers in a department. The parts list is automatically generated so I cannot add any cells inside the list that will sum the cost per department. But I want a way to display the total cost for a department when I print each department's parts list. I was thinking that I have two options:

1. put a formula in the header (if this is possible)
2. put a formula at the top of the document in the first row and have that be the Print Title (so it prints on each page).

I would need the formula be able to generate the proper SUM for each department. Basically I need to enter a formula in a cell or header that will sum a range of cells. The problem that I run into is that my range is stored as a variable and I cannot use the variable in a formula in the worksheet.

Can anyone give me any help or suggestions on solving my problem.

Kind regards,
Al

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
On 2002-02-25 11:51, Al Chara wrote:
Hi all,

I have a sheet with two columns. Column A has part numbers organized by department and Column B has the cost per part number. I have a macro that sets the print area depending on the department.

I would like to have a way to print the total cost of all the part numbers in a department. The parts list is automatically generated so I cannot add any cells inside the list that will sum the cost per department. But I want a way to display the total cost for a department when I print each department's parts list. I was thinking that I have two options:

1. put a formula in the header (if this is possible)
2. put a formula at the top of the document in the first row and have that be the Print Title (so it prints on each page).

I would need the formula be able to generate the proper SUM for each department. Basically I need to enter a formula in a cell or header that will sum a range of cells. The problem that I run into is that my range is stored as a variable and I cannot use the variable in a formula in the worksheet.

Can anyone give me any help or suggestions on solving my problem.

Kind regards,
Al

Would

INDIRECT(variable-that-stands-for-range) as part in your totaling formula not work?

Aladin

Upvote 0
Thank you Aladin. It worked great. I put the formula in my PrintTitle Area. Is it possible to add formulas into the header and footer?

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-25 12:56, Al Chara wrote:
Thank you Aladin. It worked great. I put the formula in my PrintTitle Area. Is it possible to add formulas into the header and footer?

Not ordinarly as far as I know. The WBA army might want to take that up. I think it would not be unreasonable to start a new thread with that specific question to attract the attention of that army!

Aladin

Upvote 0
I'm already attracted...The following worked for me:

Sub head_set()
With ActiveSheet.PageSetup
.CenterHeader = WorksheetFunction.Sum(Range("a1:a10"))
End With
End Sub

Might want to adjust the position (e.g., .rightfooter, .leftheader, etc..) and formula.

Cheers, Nate
This message was edited by NateO on 2002-02-25 13:42

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeerMan23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back