DateDiff in VBA

prakash_moturu

Board Regular
Hi,

i am using the falowing function for date difference

a=1/1/2011
b=1/10/2012

using the =Datedif(a,b,"md") excel function i get ==> 9 but i want to use the same thing in VBA code

Dim one, two, three
one = Sheet1.Cells(1, 1).Value (1/1/2011)

two = Sheet1.Cells(1, 2).Value (1/10/2012)

three = DateDiff("d", one, two)

three=374 ?

i got 374 ?

how to get 9 using VBA code ?

please help me

prakash

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I have not tested this extensively, but here is a function that you can use to duplicate the output that the Excel DATEDIF function does....

Code:
Function xlDATEDIF(ByVal StartDate As Date, ByVal EndDate As Date, Interval As String) As Variant
  Dim NumOfYears As Long, NumOfMonths As Long, NumOfWeeks As Long, NumOfDays As Long, DaysDiff As Long, ydDaysDiff As Long, TSerial1 As Double, TSerial2 As Double
  If StartDate > EndDate Then
    Err.Raise 5
    Exit Function
  End If
  If InStr(1, "Y M D", Interval, vbTextCompare) Then
    Select Case UCase(Interval)
      Case "Y": xlDATEDIF = DateDiff("yyyy", StartDate, EndDate)
      Case "M": xlDATEDIF = DateDiff("m", StartDate, EndDate)
      Case "D": xlDATEDIF = EndDate - StartDate
    End Select
  Else
    NumOfYears = DateDiff("yyyy", StartDate, EndDate)
    DaysDiff = EndDate - StartDate
    TSerial1 = TimeSerial(Hour(StartDate), Minute(StartDate), Second(StartDate))
    TSerial2 = TimeSerial(Hour(EndDate), Minute(EndDate), Second(EndDate))
    If 24 * (TSerial2 - TSerial1) < 0 Then EndDate = DateAdd("d", -1, EndDate)
    StartDate = DateSerial(Year(EndDate), Month(StartDate), Day(StartDate))
      StartDate = DateAdd("yyyy", -1, StartDate)
      NumOfYears = NumOfYears - 1
    End If
    ydDaysDiff = EndDate - StartDate
    NumOfMonths = DateDiff("m", StartDate, EndDate)
    StartDate = DateSerial(Year(EndDate), Month(EndDate), Day(StartDate))
      StartDate = DateAdd("m", -1, StartDate)
      NumOfMonths = NumOfMonths - 1
    End If
    NumOfDays = Abs(DateDiff("d", StartDate, EndDate))
    Select Case UCase(Interval)
      Case "YM": xlDATEDIF = NumOfMonths
      Case "YD": xlDATEDIF = ydDaysDiff
      Case "MD": xlDATEDIF = NumOfDays
      Case Else
    End Select
  End If
End Function

Upvote 0
thanks for reply.but it is not worked
Simply saying "it does not work" is not very useful... tell us what dates you tried, what interval you specified and what result you got... then we can test it out on our computers in order to see what is going on.

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I did not think to put in error handling like Rick did:oops:, but was thinking evaluate might be one way.
Excel Workbook
ABC
11/1/2011vba--->12
21/13/2012wks function--->12
Sheet1
Excel 2010
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1=vbaDateDiff(A1,A2,"md")
C2=DATEDIF(A1,A2,"md")

Rich (BB code):
Option Explicit

Sub test()
    MsgBox vbaDateDiff("1/1/2010", "12/12/2010", "m")
End Sub

Function vbaDateDiff(ByVal FirstDateCell As String, ByVal SecondDateCell As String, ByVal StringCode As String) As Long

vbaDateDiff = Evaluate("DATEDIF(DATEVALUE(""" & FirstDateCell & """),DATEVALUE(""" & SecondDateCell & """),""" & StringCode & """)")
End Function

Hope that helps,

Mark

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I did not think to put in error handling like Rick did:oops:, but was thinking evaluate might be one way.
Rich (BB code):
Option Explicit

Sub test()
    MsgBox vbaDateDiff("1/1/2010", "12/12/2010", "m")
End Sub

Function vbaDateDiff(ByVal FirstDateCell As String, ByVal SecondDateCell As String, ByVal StringCode As String) As Long

vbaDateDiff = Evaluate("DATEDIF(DATEVALUE(""" & FirstDateCell & """),DATEVALUE(""" & SecondDateCell & """),""" & StringCode & """)")
End Function
Personally, I would not recommend this solution because it ultimately uses the worksheet's DATEDIF function. The reason (from a previous posting of mine)...

I know others disagree with me on this, but I would recommend not using DATEDIF, especially if the worksheet will be used for something important. Here is a post I have given in the past explaining why I am making this recommendation...

You might want to reconsider using the DATEDIF function. It is an undocumented (and, thus, probably an unsupported) Excel function which appears to be broken in XL2007 at Service Pack 2. Someone recently posted this message as part of a newsgroup question...

=DATEDIF(DATE(2009,6,27),DATE(2012,1,5),"md")

In XL2003, the above formula gives me the correct answer of 9. However,
in Excel 2007, it gives me 122. The 122 increases in value until it
hits 143 on 1/26/2012 and then, on 1/27/2012, the difference becomes 0.

An informal survey of fellow MVPs shows the above formula works correctly in the initial release of XL2007 and its SP1, but does not work correctly in SP2; hence, it appears to be broken at that level. The problem is that the extent of the breakage is unknown (and probably indeterminable). In addition, I would say, being an undocumented (and, thus, probably an unsupported) function, the odds of Microsoft spending the time to search down and fix whatever broke is slim. In addition, again because it is probably unsupported, the extent of any future breakage in the function due to other code change Microsoft makes elsewhere in Excel is unknowable... something that works today may not work tomorrow and Microsoft will probably never fix it. This would seem to mean that DATEDIF cannot be counted on to work correctly from XL2007 SP2 onward. And even if Microsoft did fix the problem in a subsequent Service Pack, any of your users who remained at SP2 would be subjected to incorrect result.

ADDITIONAL FOLLOW-UP #1
-------------------------------
There is an indication that this might have been fixed in XL2010, however it remains broken in XL2007 as SP2, so if you are in a mixed environment of these two versions, you would be asking for trouble to continue using it. And even if you move wholly to XL2010, there is always the "they broke it once so what would stop them from breaking it again" possibility. Personally, I am still recommending that DATEDIF not be used, but the final decision as to how much you are willing to risk your data to this undocumented function is up to you.

ADDITIONAL FOLLOW-UP #2
-------------------------------
A Microsofto Answers forum regular named joeu2004...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/4a1c07ba-3a87-4b0c-98b0-f4608def4860

posted this link...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/datedif-function-HA001160981.aspx

which documents DATEDIF for the "Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007" and "Windows SharePoint Services 3.0". Since the first one is an extension of Office, one might conclude that DATEDIF is "officially" documented. Personally, I don't conclude that, but to be fair I thought I would include the link and let you draw your own conclusion. I am still holding firm to my recommendation that DATEDIF not be used anymore (for the reasons I gave in the paragraph before my ADDITIONAL FOLLOW-UP #1.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oksanana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back