Link to Outlook Email from excel

Giunca1

Hi friends-

I would like to drag a message from Outlook into Excel and have it create a link to that message. Currently, it only creates a text entry with information about the email (From, To, Subject...). Is there a simple and quick way to create an actual Link to the email?

I have been able to attach the email to a task, which creates a link to the email in the task, and then pull that over, but that's a more cumbersome process.

(Is there a VBA code that can look at the selected mail item in outlook, for example, and then create a link to it? I'm just not smart enough in excel for this.)

Appreciate any help! (I'm currently running Outlook and Excel 2010 on Windows 7).

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Hello and welcome to The Board.
Are yoiu using VBA to do what you described?
I would save (save as message) the email in a folder on disk using a unique name (perhaps including date & time etc.) and then putting that name as a hyperlink in the cell in Excel.

Upvote 0
Thanks Derek-
I am trying to create a one-step process by which I drag an email from outlook into my excel spreadsheet and it creates a link in excel back to the outlook email. Currently, when one drags an email into a worksheet, it creates a little table showing a few of the email's outlook fields (from, subject, and date/time received), but does not create a link to the email.

In my research it looks like I may be able to do this by identifying the Globally Unique Identifier of the email (GUID), but I don't know how to tell excel to do this.

Upvote 0
I manipulate Outlook tasks and emails quite a bit using Office (VBA) automation but have never considered using GUIDs.
A quick investigation seems to confirm my initial concern - that the GUID will change if the email is later moved, making any link useless.
Have a look at the 'gotcha' in the first answer at:
http://superuser.com/questions/71786/can-i-create-a-link-to-a-specific-email-message-in-outlook
You may also be interested in:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/856327/regex-to-get-a-guid-from-a-email-reply

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maplemeadows

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back