HELP - Macros are not running on ......

amflores

Board Regular
I just finished installing Excel 2000 on a new computer, with the same "Personal.xls" I copied from my old system.
Now, when I run my old macros on the new machine, I receive this message:

"A document with the name of "Personal.xls" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, even if documents are in different folders........",

and I cannot run the macros.
How to solve this problem?
Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers :(

First, open the renamed personal.xls you backed up,
To open the VB editor, hit Alt+F11 once in Excel. Now hit Ctrl+R, this will bring up the project explorer. On the left you should see two folders, one called personal.xls, and one called whatever you renamed the old personal.xls file. Double click on the old personal.xls file, copy everything out of the module that pops up. Then open the new personal.xls moule and paste everything in you copied.

Referring to your above msg, this is what I did:

Removed EXCEL 2000 and moved my renamed old "personal.xls" to C:> (root)
Reinstalled EXCEL 2000
A search revealed no "personal.xls" or renamed "personal.xls" on my C:> partition.
Kept my renamed "personal.xls" on C:> (root)

Then, I started to follow your above instructions:

- To open the VB editor, hit Alt+F11 once in Excel. Now hit Ctrl+R, this will bring up the project explorer. OK.
- On the left you should see two folders, one called personal.xls, and one called whatever you renamed the old personal.xls file. OK. VBA PROJECT (Book1) and VBA PROJECT (Personal.xls), this one w/24 modules, some empty, others with my old macro commands (how is tis possible if old and renamed "personal.xls" still in C:>?)
- Double click on the old personal.xls file. Impossible. As I said, it is still sitting in C:>. So, I double-clicked the one named "VBA PROJECT (Personal.xls)" the one w/ Microsoft Objects and 24 modules.
Then I stopped and did nothing else, confused,and worried for giving you so much troble/work

Do not hurry. Take your time to answer.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Don't worry about it!

First of all, sorry you had to reintall Excel, I don't think that was necessary, hope I didn't lead you in that direction.

- Double click on the old personal.xls file. Impossible. As I said, it is still sitting in C:>. So, I double-clicked the one named "VBA PROJECT (Personal.xls)" the one w/ Microsoft Objects and 24 modules.

I meant to say double click on the personal.xls module, not file, but you did this correctly anyways.

It is odd that you have your personal.xls module has code in it if you renamed your old personal.xls and reinstalled. I suspect a partition issue.

Here's the thing, if the personal.xls module you see has the needed old macros, it seems you've accomplished what you want, and maybe your okay now. For me, Excel doesn't create a personal.xls file until I record a macro, and specify it to go there, so if you've reinstalled Excel, and you still have a personal.xls module in the VB editor, then something weird is going on. It could be the old one, still in an XLStart folder. I really can't tell, it doesn't make much sense.

Try recording a macro, and tell it to record to the personal.xls file. Then go the the VB editor, and see if its there. It should be there with your old macros. Therefor, your old personal.xls file must be somewhere on your hard drive, snf it should be in the XLStart folder. If any macros are missing, open the renamed old personal.xls file, and paste the macros from it in a module in the personal.xls project.

-Corticus

Upvote 0
Don't worry about it!

First of all, sorry you had to reintall Excel, I don't think that was necessary, hope I didn't lead you in that direction. No, you did not.

I meant to say double click on the personal.xls module, not file, but you did this correctly anyways.

It is odd that you have your personal.xls module has code in it if you renamed your old personal.xls and reinstalled. I suspect a partition issue.
This is quite possible

Try recording a macro, and tell it to record to the personal.xls file. Then go the the VB editor, and see if its there. It should be there with your old macros. Therefor, your old personal.xls file must be somewhere on your hard drive, snf it should be in the XLStart folder. If any macros are missing, open the renamed old personal.xls file, and paste the macros from it in a module in the personal.xls project.
Let's call it a day. I'll try your proposed experiment tomorrow or Saturday, and will let you know what I found.
Thanks for your patience and expertise.
Will be back soon.
Cheers

:oops:

Upvote 0
Hello Peter,

To tell you the truth, I still don't know.
Give me some more time: I will completely remove and re-install EXCEL to understand how/where this personal.xls is placed, and how it works.
It doesn't take too much of my time.
Then I will record a simple macro and see where it is going to be placed.
Then I'll try to get a little more familiar with the VB windows and will try "Cut & Paste" between projects.
I'm planning to do this during the weekend, and will return to you ASAP.
Many thanks for your help, and above all, your patience.
:)

Upvote 0
ANY Excel file you save in the
C:\Documents and Settings\[your name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
directory, will be opened at Excel Boot. One of these files can be the Personal.xls file, but others files can be stored there, too.

By default Excel opens these files Read/Write, and you get an error if you try to open the file a second time, but you already knew that. Excel will open the file in Read Only mode, if you set it Read Only in Explorer. In that case Excel won't complain whenever you have multiple instances open.

In short:
1) go to C:\Documents and Settings\[your name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

2) RIGHT-click personal.xls, ask properties.

3) Set the file read-only. Click OK

Best regards.

Jurgen@ nospam nono tidata.com

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back