mouse wheel scroll function doesn't work

marnie

Board Regular
I'm using Excel 2007. When I try to scroll with the mouse wheel, it doesn't do anything. If I hold down the control key and scroll with the mouse, it zooms in and out. So that works fine, but I can't do the basic scrolling up and down the document with the mouse wheel. There is no "Tools, Options" menu in 2007 so I don't even know where to find this type of option. The options available from the Office button are completely different.
Anyone know how I can fix this?
Thanks

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hi

I've seen this crop up a few times with 2007 and not once seen it answered properly, it's more or less said to be something to do with the mouse you are using, even though it might have worked perfectly well with an older version.

One thing you could try that I've seen work is to right click on the status bar at the bottom and untick (or tick) the Scroll Lock option on there (the keyboard status light doesn't seem to matter).

Alternatively you can go into the Control Panel > Mouse settings from the Windows Start Menu and see if there is anything in there you can use.

Sorry can't be of more help than that, perhaps someone else can suggest something if neither of those don't work.

Upvote 0
Thank you Jazz, I ended up finding the answer.

The scroll worked fine in all my applications except Excel 2007 and Word 2007.

In case anyone cares, here's what I did to fix it.

I went to Control Panel
clicked Printers and other Hardware
clicked Mouse
chose the Wheel tab
In the top section, there is a button labeled "exeptions", I clicked this
A pop up window appears where I can add applications
I clicked Add
The next window has 2 boxes. In the first box labeled Application Name, I simply typed in the "excel". The 2nd box is labeled Program Path. I clicked the browse button next to it and went through my C: drive Program files folder until I found the Excel.exe file and chose this and clicked Open and clicked OK.
I repeated this for Word
then I clicked Ok to finish the Exceptions window
Then I was back on the Mouse Properties window, I clicked Apply and then OK.

I shut down excel and reopened (not sure I needed to do this, but I did it just in case)
And the scroll worked again.
Same in Microsoft Word 2007

And these steps could vary depending on the version of Windows and how your control panel is laid out.

Upvote 0
No problem, thanks for posting back and letting people know how you got your soloution :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back