Custom Format - align currency symbols

thesavage

I am using the custom cell format to change the way large numbers are displayed but cannot find how to align the currency symbol similar to using the built-in "accounting format". I want to display "$97,234,567" (for example) as "$97.23 M" and align the subsequent cells with the currency symbol to the left of the cell. I have tried a few things and searched the net to no avail. Can any one offer assistance?

Cheers

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
The cell format for the accounting is:

_ $* [[number format]] _

You can remove the last _ which will move the number spacing a bit to the right of what the _ would give (the _ adds a space after the numbers for padding).

In the same way, the _ at the beginning adds a leading space, and the * repeats the space character to fill the gap between the currency symbol and the numbers.

What format are you trying to make exactly?

If you are planning on having some numbers end with "M" and some not, then it will be nigh impossible to line them up (you need to know the size and kerning of the various fonts to line them up all nice and proper, or use en and em spaces that result in a perfect match). But you can give it the old college try if you'd like.

Upvote 0
This Custom Format should do what you want...

_($* #,##0.00,," M"_);_($* (#,##0.00,," M")

If you will not have any negative values, then this should be all you need...

_($* #,##0.00,," M"_)

Upvote 0
This question was solved by user - no reply needed.

This was very helpful to me in tweaking a format on a large printed range for a business plan.

My question is this... "Is it possible to set the 'Style' of 'Currency' to show without the spacing on the right?", like:

This: $#,##0;[Red]($#,##0)

Rather than...
This: $#,##0_);[Red]($#,##0)

Thank you in advance...

DD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Although I found the answer to the above question, now I have a follow-up.

I successfully changed the default Currency style to this: $#,##0;[Red]($#,##0) (without the right-hand spacing and decimal).

But, since I may want that in the default style, I changed it back. Now, I created a custom style that is what I want and I want to add this to a new group on the ribbon, and possibly a keyboard shortcut like Ctrl+Shift+$

I see when customizing the ribbon, that it will accept a macro, but I don't know what to record which will both work and be eleganct enough not to go through a bunch of unnecessary steps like most recorded macros will.

Request:
Would someone be so kind as to show me or quickly write something which would work for me to add this as a macro as to make this style appear on the ribbon through customizing it into a new group?

Thank you !!!

-David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back