Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Merging workbooks and worksheets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Merging workbooks and worksheets

OK, I've looked all over. I think this can be done, but I'm not sure how to do it. Here's what I'm attempting:

I have 10 separate xls files. Each contains a list of information, broken out over several columns (date, location, event, trainer, etc.). Each file contains the same type of info.

I want to do two things. First, I'd like to set up a master file with 10 tabs. I would like each tab to exactly mirror the contents of the external files. When one of those files has an event added, modified, or deleted, I would like the corresponding tab to update.

Then I would like to create an additional tab in this master file that will merge the other 10 tabs of information into one long table.

Is this possible? I know how to create a simple link from one workbook, but this isn't quite the same thing.

Thanks.

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Merging workbooks and worksheets

It is certainly possible, but there is a lot of work and it requires a fairly long explanation with a lot more questions. You would need to add VBA to all of your workbooks to do what you are asking. Are you sure you wouldn't rather just periodically or on demand "get" the data from the other workbooks? Then you only need to add VBA to your "portfolio" workbook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing it on demand would certainly be doable. Especially if it's significantly easier that way. And it would work to just draw the the external files directly to a master sheet where they all get merged.

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming you are going to list the files that you need to read create a sheet to list the files and loop through them, each time opening the file, copying what you want, and then closing the file.

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others