Merging workbooks and worksheets

Dimwhit

OK, I've looked all over. I think this can be done, but I'm not sure how to do it. Here's what I'm attempting:

I have 10 separate xls files. Each contains a list of information, broken out over several columns (date, location, event, trainer, etc.). Each file contains the same type of info.

I want to do two things. First, I'd like to set up a master file with 10 tabs. I would like each tab to exactly mirror the contents of the external files. When one of those files has an event added, modified, or deleted, I would like the corresponding tab to update.

Then I would like to create an additional tab in this master file that will merge the other 10 tabs of information into one long table.

Is this possible? I know how to create a simple link from one workbook, but this isn't quite the same thing.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
It is certainly possible, but there is a lot of work and it requires a fairly long explanation with a lot more questions. You would need to add VBA to all of your workbooks to do what you are asking. Are you sure you wouldn't rather just periodically or on demand "get" the data from the other workbooks? Then you only need to add VBA to your "portfolio" workbook.

Upvote 0
Doing it on demand would certainly be doable. Especially if it's significantly easier that way. And it would work to just draw the the external files directly to a master sheet where they all get merged.

Upvote 0
Assuming you are going to list the files that you need to read create a sheet to list the files and loop through them, each time opening the file, copying what you want, and then closing the file.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianhfield

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back