I NEED A HERO!!

kbrownforcally

I am creating a database of companies and products purchased and I am trying to figure out how to use one worksheet in a workbook as a GUI form to capture data that is stored in database format in another worksheet in the same workbook.

I know the excel template wizard does this already but the data is captured in a separate workbook. Is there a way to modify this?

Thanks for any assistance.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
What exactly are you asking for here?

What are you looking for this pseudo GUI to do?

You're saying that the data is in the same workbook one minute and the next you're saying that the data is in a separate workbook. Which is it?

Upvote 0
Mark,

Thanks for the post and forgive my novice terminology.

Allow me to clarify.

I am wanting to use worksheet #1 for data entry. The worksheet is setup as a template with check boxes, pulldown menu's etc.

After inputing the data in the template I would like click a button or run a macro to send it to another worksheet in the same workbook but in database format(column headings)

So, it would work just like the template wizard but it wouldn't put the data into a separate workbook.

I hope that is more clear.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
That would not be difficult to do...
But to get a helpful code example here, you will need to list your controls and exactly where on the other sheet the data from each needs to be sent...

I don't mean to be vague, but these are details which would be needed to really help you out...

Thanks,
Tom

Upvote 0
The layout of the template worksheet is in a list so the cells for data entry would be something like

NAME:C5
ADDRESS: C6
CITY: C7
STATE: C8
ZIPp C9
ETC...

The worksheet holding the data will be in datbase format so the corresponding cells would be in rows like:

NAME:A2
ADDRESS: B2
CITY: C2
STATE: D2
ZIPp E2

Once again the template wizard with database tracking has the exact functionality I am looking for except I don't want to send the data to a worksheet in a separate workbook.

Thanks for any help!

Upvote 0
With my limited knowledge, here is what I could help you do...
Place a button on the data entry sheet called "Add Record"...
Would check to make sure all the data has been entered, send to the next available row on your database sheet, and then sort the database.
Have you included a primary key on your data entry sheet? A unique identifier for each record?
Phone numbers are usually ok.
Last names are generally not a good idea because of duplicates.
Will you be querying this database?
Tom

Tom

Upvote 0
Tom,

What you propose sounds great. I do not have a unique identifier like you said the phone number would work.

I would like to query the database. I figured auto-filters would work well or another spreadsheet that uses vblookup.

Thanks,

Kevin

Upvote 0
All I need is a sample sheet for the data entry or at least the columns and data types in each...Dates, Text, Numbers, ect...
Or just send me sample...
Also, which cells in a record are mandatory for entry or not(For Validation)
By which column do you want to sort your database?
TsTom@Hotmail.com
Thanks,
Tom

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arndtea

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back