Counting Spaces?

dabluebery

Board Regular
Does anyone know of an Excel function, or more specifically, a series of excel functions, that can be used to count spaces, or any character or string I specify.

I'm not really interested in using VBA to accomplish this, though I understand I could easily solve my problem this way. I want to exhaust the inherent excel functions first.

Thanks,

Rob

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
The Count functions, including countblank, countif, counta, and count, perform tasks on ranges of cells, not parsing cell contents, unless I'm missing something.

To clarify, I am looking for an easier way to do this than finding a space with "find", counting it, then finding the next space, and so on.

I realize there is probably not something that will help me, except to write out the tedious "find" functions. If not, I nominate "countcell" as a new function for the next version of excel, one that counts the number of instances of X text in an individual cell.

Upvote 0
No you're not missing anything - I misread your post so as you say COUNTBLANK won't give you what you're after - sorry!

Upvote 0
I agree with dabluebery, this is pretty cool.
Rather than count the "spaces" between words it seems to count the number of times the spacebar was actually used. (For example if you double spaced the words "What a cool formula" you get a return of 6 instead of 3.)
Good one Aladin.

Upvote 0
I agree with dabluebery, this is pretty cool.
Rather than count the "spaces" between words it seems to count the number of times the spacebar was actually used. (For example if you double spaced the words "What a cool formula" you get a return of 6 instead of 3.)
Good one Aladin.

Digging up an old thread. Is there a formula to count the number of spaces between each word in a string?

Thanks!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back