How can I find help topics in excel 2010 for VBA

C3P0

:rolleyes: Question part 1. The book VBA and Macros for Microsoft Office Excel 2007, by Bill Jelen and Tracy Syrstad, and the same books for 2010, both say to install the VBA help files. How do I do that?

"During reinstall, select the custom install and be sure to select the VBA help files."

I have an original Office 2010 disk, and I don't see that feature on the custom installation menu.

:rolleyes: Question Part 2. I'm trying to access the help topic for the word End in my VBA code. When I press F1, it brings up Context Help menu, and then asks if I want to use VBA library End object, or Excel library End object.

When I click on VBA library, the help topic from online comes up exactly as in the book. As stated in the book, this is not the correct help topic.

Excel Developer Home > Visual Basic for Applications Language Reference for Office 2010 > Visual Basic Language Reference > Statements

End Statement

This page is specific to the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) Language Reference for Office 2010.

Ends a procedure or block.

When I click on Excel VBA library, the help topic from online brings me to a menu that asks which category that I'm interested in.

Categories

Excel 2010 Developer Reference
Visual Basic for Applications Language Reference for Office 2010
Object Library Reference for Office 2010

I'm trying to find the help topic for Range.End Property. But I can't find that topic anywhere in the online help topics.

Also, I only know that is the topic I'm looking for because that's what's listed in the book.

I'm looking for the way to put the cursor on the word "End," press F1, then choose Excel library, and have the same help topic come up as it shows in the book. For Range.End Property, as on pages 41-42 of the 2007 version of the book. Exact same instructions in the 2010 book.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Welcome to the Board!

#1 - If you already have Office installed, then you can goto Control Panel-->Uninstall a Program-->Click on Office-->Change/Repair.

When the Wizard comes up you'll walk through some steps as to what elements you want to change. When you see Excel, expand the folder and make sure that each one is checked as being included on the local computer.

Once you get that done you should be able to find what you're after.

HTH,

Upvote 0
Thank you for the info.

I went through the steps you suggested.

When I get to Installation Options the choices are:

Installation Options

Microsoft Excel

.NET Programmability Support
Add-Ins: Analysis ToolPak, Euro Currency Tools, Solver
Sample Files

For each of the choices, the choice that I have is to "Run from my computer." And those look like they are already selected.

I'm still looking for the choice to add the help topics for VBA as stated emphatically in the 2007 and 2010 editions of the Excel book.

Does excel now only use online help? Or is there in fact a way to physically download the excel VBA help files?

"If you are going to write VBA macros, you absolutely must have the VBA help topics installed. The problem: The VBA help topics are not installed in the default Office install. During reinstall, select the custom install and be sure to select the VBA help files."

Upvote 0
If I recall the VBA portion is in Office Tools section.

As for Office Online, yes, search defaults to Online if you have a connection, then the online files. Note that neither of which are nearly as good as they were in Office 2003, but MS is working on it.

Upvote 0
Thanks. As I look at the Office Tools Installation Options, I don't see a VBA help topics.

The choices that come up under Office Tools are:

Actions .NET Programmability Support
Actions Plugins (+)
Equation Editor
Hosted Webs
Language Settings Tools
Microsoft Forms 2.0 .NET Programmability Support
Microsoft Graph (+)
Microsoft Office Picture Manager
Microsoft Query
Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Support (+)
Optical Character Recognition (OCR)

Upvote 0
All I can say is walk through everything. Unfortunately, I don't have time right now to go through the process and see where exactly it is.

Upvote 0
I worked out the answer. (y) As it turns out, the 2010 version of the excel book has out of date information. Someone might want to let MrExcel know.

I was on the phone with Microsoft for over 3 hours, then another hour of preparing screen shots to email one of their advanced reps. Over a few days I got the answer back. The help that I got regularly costs $259 to resolve as a case.

1. Start Office Excel 2010.

2. Hit F1 to bring up the "Help" menu. (The help box comes up linked to Office.com)

3. In the lower right hand corner of the help box, in the lower border, click the option that is titled "Connected to Office.com".

4. Click the option of "Show content only from this computer.". In the lower right, it will now be displayed as "Offline".

This fix did not require a reinstall of the help files. The 2007 version of Office does not require this fix, according to the Microsoft rep.

The 2010 version of Office does require this fix, and the VBA and Macros for Microsoft Office 2010 book needs to be updated to reflect this.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the information. I have been trying to get my IT department to get it reinstalled for over a week. My version of VBA and Macros also shows I need a re-install (Third printing August 2011)

Upvote 0
C3PO
This is a great answer and well spelled out. Thanks for the research.

I missed your #3 point. I kept looking for the term in the body of the window. For other knuckleheads like me "Show content only from this computer.". is in the is in the gray border! Border!! BORDER!!!

Thanks

Upvote 0
Great find, thanks for sharing! Came across exactly the same problem when using the MrExcel VBA and MAcro 2010 book!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksjohnson1970

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back