Due Date Tracking, Color Changing Cells

thoma011

I'm trying to write a tracking form for the clinicians in my office that will help them see which clients are due for a treatment review. When a client starts therapy, their chart must be reviewd every six months. The clinicians will enter their clients start dates, and the worksheet will automatically calculate the 6,12,and 18month due dates using the EDATE formula. I would like the color of a particular cell to change based on how close the due date is to today. For example, if the due date is within 30 days, turn the cell green. If the due date is within 10 days, turn the cell yellow. If the due date is past-due, turn it red. I have used conditional formatting to accomplish this, but the problem lies in turning CF off after the chart review is completed, then changing the cell colors based on the next due date.

So, if today is 3/5/12, and the due date is 4/4/12, the cell (B2) should be green. When the date is 3/26/12, B2 should be yellow. If the date is 4/5/12, B2 should turn red. Once I enter a completion date in another cell, B2 should revert to white. Now that the 6-month due date has been satisfied, I want to remind the clinician about the 12-month due date, and start the process over with the new due date, and not reactivate the original 6-month deadline.

I've tried to use conditional formatting, but once the due date has passed, the cell will stay red. If a clinician enters all their clients, and some of them have already had their 6 or 12 month reviews, the CF turns them all red, even though the review has been done; I don't want to flag them as delinquent.

Should I just set up conditional formatting on each of the "Due Date" cells to turn them a color until a date is entered in the "Completion Date" column? Will conditional formatting work if the EDATE function
is being used in the cell and not user data?

Is it possible to use a combination of IF, ISTEXT, and EDATE in a conditional formatting statement?

E.G: =IF(there is text in this cell,nothing happens,conditional formatting applies).

Thank you in advance for any help.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Sorry, forgot to add that I'm using Excel 2003 with all tools added in.
Thank you again in advance for any advice.

Upvote 0
You can use a formula to apply conditional formatting and this can be (within reason) as complex as you like. Such as:
=AND(A2>(TODAY()-10), B2<>"")

You can set the format as you like (e.g. red) and this will highlight the cell red within 10 days, but stop as soon as you enter anything in B2 (assuming you use B2 for entering when the patient is actually seen, do your own thing as you like).

Does this help?

Regards
Adam

Upvote 0
You can use a formula to apply conditional formatting and this can be (within reason) as complex as you like. Such as:
=AND(A2>(TODAY()-10), B2<>"")

You can set the format as you like (e.g. red) and this will highlight the cell red within 10 days, but stop as soon as you enter anything in B2 (assuming you use B2 for entering when the patient is actually seen, do your own thing as you like).

Does this help?

Regards
Adam
Tried it, but it works in reverse. If there is no text (or date) in B2, then A2 remains normal. When I put a completion date in B2, A2 turns red. Will play around with it, this seems to be closer to what I wanted!
Thank you!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ooops sorry. That should be
=AND(A2>(TODAY()-10), B2="")

Regards
Adam

This nailed it!

As a side note, I noticed that once I had set up the formulas and conditional formatting, that the due date column (D) would show a red "6/30/00" if there was no data entered in the therapy start date column (C). (i.e. there had to be a therapy start date to populate the due date cell with the correct due date, and correct conditional formatting). I added the following formula to the due date cell (D),which was normally populated with just an EDATE function, to make it blank until a therapy start date was entered.

=IF(C3="","",EDATE(C3,6)))

Along with the conditional formatting, this made the form look nice and clean until data is entered.

Thanks again!!

Upvote 0
Be careful of discovering new Excel formulae, it becomes addictive ;)

Regards
Adam

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dukenia71

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back