excel slow to close

Fawlty1

Board Regular
:rolleyes: On my machine at work(Win98 running Office 97) - it takes 45 seconds (Yes, I actually timed it) to close out of an Excel spreadsheet. Doesn't seem to matter if I save or don't save data. Also doesn't matter if spreadsheet contains any macros or not. Have no problems with MS Word, just Excel.
Anyone know what might be causing this problem?

As always, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Probably just a slow PC. How fast is the CPU and how much RAM does in have?

Upvote 0
The computer I use is work is definitely not the up to par (Celeron 333mhz - 56mb of ram) - Hey, stop laughing, my boss has a Cyrix chip with 32 mb of ram. Everyone else at company has P3 933 mhz 128mb ram.
But believe it or not everything was fine until about a month ago.
Now that I think about it, I think thats when I loaded MoreFunc from this site. I sure hope thats not causing problem as I really like some of the additional formulas that are included.

Upvote 0
Go to Tools>Addins and see how many you have loaded. Uncheck all of them and see if this helps.

Upvote 0
Morefunc is from someone who most experts I know consider an expert. While anything is possible, it is highly unlikely to be the cause of the slowdown.

As others have speculated, a specific workbook might be the cause of the problem. However, if it happens with multiple workboosk, it is far more likely that, with the caveat...

Everything below is advice that you take at your own risk. Ultimately, it is your /your company's computer...

Back up your computer, restart it, then consider doing the following:

(a) How much free disk space do you have? Open 'My Computer', right-click the C: drive, select Properties... and in the General tab check the free space. If it is low -- less than 15% of total space is critically low -- you have problems. Some of the steps below might help. If they don't you will have to somehow make space on your hard disk. How? If you installed any new programs recently, consider deleting them (use Add/Delete Programs). If not, you will have to archive and delete your data files, or buy a new HD (or computer {g}).

(b) See the caveats above! Clean up the temporary files on your computer -- trash everything that is a *.tmp file and everything that is in the {windows directory}\TEMP folder. I would definitely delete any *.tmp file in a folder that has 'temp' or 'temporary' in its name and exercise a little more caution if there are only a few files left in any folder that seems important. [For example, if I find a handful of files in c:\windows\ I might leave them alone. But if I found lots of *.tmp files going back a long time, I'd consider trashing them.

(c) Trash all the Internet related temporary files (in IE, select Tools | Internet Options... | General tab | and in the 'Temporary Internet files' section click the 'Delete files' button

(d) Empty the recycling bin. On the desktop, right click the Recycle Bin, and select 'Empty Recycle Bin'

(e) Defragment your hard disk. Open 'My Computer', right-click the C: drive, and in the Tools tab first click 'Check Now...' (this will verify your hard disk is OK), then click 'Defragment Now...'

(f) In Outlook, turn off Journaling. This might be enabled even if you don't use OL but have it installed on your computer.

(g) See the caveats above! Depending on how the computer and the software on it are configured, you might have large log files. These are typically named *.log. Alternatively, search the hard disk for large files (first 10MB+, then 1MB+, then 500K+, etc.). Use your judgement on whether they are needed.

Fawlty1 said:
The computer I use is work is definitely not the up to par (Celeron 333mhz - 56mb of ram) - Hey, stop laughing, my boss has a Cyrix chip with 32 mb of ram. Everyone else at company has P3 933 mhz 128mb ram.
But believe it or not everything was fine until about a month ago.
Now that I think about it, I think thats when I loaded MoreFunc from this site. I sure hope thats not causing problem as I really like some of the additional formulas that are included.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back